• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

total noob wit questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MSbMeaner

Registered
Ok Ive ordered my first water kit. a thermaltake aquarius II. Seemed like a good kit for my first. Im working on my own, after radiator, peltier water chiller. Im wondering about additives. I know I want red die but whats the best additives for cooling and whats a good block to buy for a 9600 pro vid card? If I like what i get out of the 9600 pro i may get a kit for my other comp and will need a block for the fx5900 i have in it. any suggestions? Also, should I conseder cooling the chipset? i have a fan cooler on it now. and just so you know Im a very savy woman not a man. Just hate it when guys refer to me as a "DUDE"

ok lady =P....i had the same question kinda i went with dex cool antifreeze at 15% which is heavy since i had alum HeaterCore and Coppe blox i went with the maze4 GPU for my 9600xt and its awsome..also maze4 on CPU.......anyway! try dex cool,also it is orange

I remember the TT A2 having small tubing.. like really small.
you might want to try a koolance block which i think fits the tubing. Also, the A2 pump is kinda weak.. donno if it'll preform well with another block..
i would personally recommend a 250-350gph pump for two or more blocks with atleast 4 ft of head.

As for the the additives, i always recommend 15% dex-cool additive (its orange.., but u can buy red uv dye which looks cool)
hope that helps :)

Hey "DUDE" is unisex. Shouldn't offend you. Anyways.

If you just want to dye the water you can use food coloring.

I also might not want to add too many blocks to the system. The system is nice for what it is, but not super powerful.

I also purchased a Swiftech 8501 series kit. Currently have the cpu block, chipset block, and video block installed on my mobo. Now the question is, should i remove the blocks from my mobo to leak test my system?

{PMS}fishy said:
Hey "DUDE" is unisex. Shouldn't offend you. Anyways.
isn't the correct term dudet? I believe thats how the feminine spelling for dude, you can also take the movie "Bill and Teds Excellent Adventure" as a reference to the word. :)

Korndog said:

isn't the correct term dudet? I believe thats how the feminine spelling for dude, you can also take the movie "Bill and Teds Excellent Adventure" as a reference to the word. :)

i believe that would (hypotheticaly) be spelt "dudette"

Thanks everyone Ill let you know how it goes. I definately will end up buying a different pump and slowly moving in upgraded parts . a lil at a time.

Hey, Welcome to the forums,

Basicly with that kit, you really cant go to far without totally scrapping it. The block is a lower performance block, the pump is small and wimpy, the radiator is small and wimpy too. The tubing is the main thing and is megga tiny.

I was a little confused by your first post, you got that kit then now totally scrapping it I asume?(I hope;)) Your working on a peltier water chiller? those can be really nice if done correctly, I won't go there for now.

Jon

Actually in the movie, dudette was used as a joke, there is no such thing as dudette outside of that movie, nobody says it.

It was meant as a joke and it stayed that way. (or at least it never cought on, or if it did catch on it died quick)

Anyways, yeah i call girls dude all the time, never have i seen one take offence... dude is pretty much a unisex word.

Funny how a thread can start off talking about watercooling and end up a discussion on the word "dude".

Anyways, that thermaltake kit is pretty weaksauce, but its a great starter kit, and i think is better than those giant heatsink air coolers. So at least your getting quietness out of it....

Not much you can do with the restrictive tubing and barbs on that setup, maybe think of eventually phasing it out and getting a 1/2inch setup which you seem to be doing anyways.....

maybe save the aquarius for a GPU/northbridge seperate loop? Or even better, you can make a custom made TEC Waterchiller for your first loop and use the second loop to cool down the TEC.... thats what i would do, it would REALLY cool down your first loop alot by at least 10 degrees celcius!

yeah this is really a stepping off point for me and this kit will end up as a cooler for my cpu only in my xaserIII case as I have a noisy *** tornado on a slk800. but will go in my new small lan case computer ive just built for now. Im already looking at building one for my lan out of separate parts instead of a kit. Is this a good idea? Any suggestions for pumps, blocks, etc. I definately wnat to build a top o the line system in the next few months. For a chiller I was thinking of getting a solid block of copper about 7/8" thick x 5" x 10" and taking it to a machine shop here and having precise holes drilled thru its length and inserting 3/8 tubing thru the holes and soldering them in and joining them on ends with tight 90 dgree elbows(im a plumber lol) and seating this in some kind of foam insulation in a box and setting a melcor 250 watt thermo unit on top. Where can I find more info on homemade chiilers???

There really isnt much info on peltier chillers, http://www.ocforums.com/search.php?s=
peltier chiller
check out wymjym's setup

as for the size you hvae there, that is way big, no need for that big of a block, plus that size would cost you a LOTS to cut.(>$500)

JOn

Crap this things a piece!! 43c running as a 3200+ Im wondering if I take these springs out will the tube be that easy to colapse? and wouldnt it help the flow? I even have a tornado on the radiator this was a mistake.

i have that kit(on second pc) and it run about 35-38 at load
where did you plade your rad?
and did you seat the waterblock right?
it is for a alternative to HSF setup not for watercooling in the extreme

if the rad in at the top it is not getting cool air try the front of the case
plus the springs are not necessary for most applications
just for real tight bends

gulp~ My bad I didnt have it seated pr operly. had the clips wrong. I guess now Im a bonified ocer cause I just fried my first proc. LOL good thing I put an old 2500 on first time. That thing was pretty tired anyway. I have the oldest 2500+ I have on now . before I couldnt get more than 2300 hundred out of this. but now its runnin at 2400+ nice~~ Its runnin about 46c but always has been a hot chip.

Back