• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OMG, could xp be anymore of a resource hog

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Agent_Mull

Im currently confined to the family comp b/c of some troubles on my main rig. I just got home from school and sat down, loged on and its going very slow, so i look at the task manager and i see like ypc.exe taking up 100% of the processor. So I end task that and its still slow, so i look at the memory, and i only have 11mb OF RAM LEFT OUT OF 256 (ive been bugging my dad to get more ram for it)! And i look at the list and there are system processes running for all 3 logons b/c we use the xp fast user switch thing.
come on, dont you only have to have 1 system process running for all 3 users?

Check your startup and see what you have booting with windows....you can probably cut out a few startup items.

Also, XP is quite the memory hog, i view Xp as needing minimum 512mb RAM. Of course 256 is doable.....however i wouldn't run it like that. Memory is so cheap now it makes no sense NOT to upgrade.

Sucka said:
Also, XP is quite the memory hog, i view Xp as needing minimum 512mb RAM. Of course 256 is doable.....however i wouldn't run it like that. Memory is so cheap now it makes no sense NOT to upgrade.

Actually it cant be too much of a hog. My sister has a 380mhz compaq with ony 128mb of ram and runs XP without a problem. I'm not saying that its super fast but its not bad at all for what it is.

Like i said, I see it as needing the additional memory. Your "running fine" and mine are probably way different...lol

If runnign XP with 128 MB of ram works with any other programs without problems, all she uses is a web browser or notepad.

Problem #1
-- Three people are logged in. I disabled fast user switching on my family's system because they loved to leave themselves logged on. And we have 5 logins :eek:

Problem #2
-- Unless you're running S@H, F@H, or something similar, your CPU usage should NOT be at 100%. Sounds like somebody downloaded something which is slowing the computer down. Run a spyware scan, as well as anti-virus. Check msconfig for startup programs eating up resources.

Question #1
-- How many running processes are there? My box is tweaked down to 24 on boot/login, and the Gateway (barely tweaked) is at 27. Anymore than probably 30 is too much.

256MB is plenty for XP. The family computer (a Gateway) only has 256, and is just as responsive as my system with 512. The gateway uses about 200MB on average useage. Since XP dosen't use RAM first, it actually usually has 100MB of RAM free.

JigPu

Gonna have to disagree. 256 is not enough to run xp comfortably. Yes it will run it, however, it is slower than using more memory. For the cost of memory today, it is a good investment.

I agree, check your startup for useless programs. I have 10 startup processes with my computer, so i think anymore than 15 is far to many. Hell, anymore than my 10 is stupid imo. If soemthing is sooooooo important, leave it in startut, otherwise, start it when needed.

uhhh on my old dell it ran XP with 256 just fine... adding another 256 didn't make that much of a difference imo... its slightly faster, but 256 was plenty... there was no lag or anything either. i didn't even tweak start up.

256 running windows and any other aps is crappy imo, esp if you want to play any games or run photoshop ect. If 256 is so grand, why are you running a gig in your rig....lol For the cost of memory, the choice to upgrade is simple.

Sucka said:
256 running windows and any other aps is crappy imo, esp if you want to play any games or run photoshop ect. If 256 is so grand, why are you running a gig in your rig....lol For the cost of memory, the choice to upgrade is simple.
Well, yes, but the word "Gateway" or "Dell" isn't exactly what first comes to mind when I think the words "Gaming" or "Photoshop" :D

256 is fine for normal usage. Word, some net broswing, solitare, etc. Gaming and Photoshopping, you'll definatly want more RAM, as well as probably a better computer! :)

JigPu

I don't recall ypc.exe being a winxp service. I stand by the guys and the spyware & av. Those two are life savers! Sometimes family members just can't resist clicking on a ILoveU.exe.

Back