• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fresh xp install problems...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AL Romero

i just installed a fresh copy of xp and im having some problems. first problem, when booting it says there is a second os but if i choose the second os it says something is corrupt. the 1st os work tho. i thought maybe it was my fault for doing a quick format so i re-installed xp again only this time i did a long format. there is still 2 os showing still. how can i delete the that old os?

second when in bios and booting it says "NTLDR is missing." i dont know what this mean but if the windows disc is in there it boots find but when the windows disc is not in there thats what it says. how do i fix this?

thanks for the info,
al

Well to get rid of the boot options isnt that hard, make sure you can view hidden files and open up the C drive and delete the second boot option form the boot.ini file the will be openalble throught notepad. The NTLDR is the boot loader and if that is missing than there is no way that it would be bootable, this is the Boot.ini file mainly. Are you sure with the NTLDR error that there isnt a CD of Floppy you computer is trying to boot to or possably another hard drive that has an OS on it?

i thought of that 2 and there was no floppy inside drive. i installed again this time i deleted the partition and then long formated and installed xp again and the NTLDR error is gone but the second os is still there. ill try like you said and delete it from windows. ill let you know how it worked it a few.
thanks
al

edit:

is boot.ini in the windows folder? i cant find it and i also did a search for it and it said no suck folder. :(

Last edited:
i had the same problem as you, fixed it by deleting partion also...i think the second os just stays there but you cant boot into it

No. The boot.ini is found in the root of your hard drive. (C:\)
As for finding hidden files, open up Explorer and go to the C:\ directory. In the menu bar close to the top of the window, select Tools, then Folder Options.
In the new window that pops up, select the View tab and scroll down in the dialog box until you see something labeled "Hidden Files and Folders" (minus quotes).
Select "Show Hidden Files and Folders" and then deselect the check box that says "Hide Protected Operating System Files (recommended)" and ignore any warnings that might show up.
Now you should find your boot.ini in the root directory of your hard drive (C:\)

k i got the hidden file stuff taken care of. i found the file and opened it with notepad and deleted the second partition. then i clicked the X the exit and it said:

the text in the C:\boot.ini file has changed, do you want to save changes? i clicked yes

then said:

cannot create the C:\boot.ini file. make sure that the path and file name are correct. then it opens save window like it wants me to change the name or save it in a different dirrectory or something. what do i do?

EDIT:

al i just realized that the boot drive is labeled as D: for some reason my mass storage 160G drive is labeled as C: when i click on the mass storage drive (C:) there is nothing in it but the files i have saved on it. in the (D:) drive is the program files and windows files. what gives? is that right?

EDIT 2:

shi* i just looked again and there is files on the mass storage drive. why is that i installed windows on the sata drive? here is a list on the files on the mass storage dirve:
msdownld.tmp
system volume information
recycler
autoexec
boot

i dont understand why this is turning out so fuc*ed up like this. ive done this several times before with zero problems. could my windows cd be corrupt or something? i know the install on my part is right. i installed the sata drive and everything. maybe i need to take out the ide mass storage drive and then install windows?

Last edited:
i was getting frustrated with this hole mess so i said fuc* it and unplugged my mass storage drive and installed xp yet again on the sata drive and everything is ok.
thanks for you help
al

Back