• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

(Noob) - Will Athlon XP-M 2500+ run on a 200/266 MHz FSB mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

darkNRG

Hi, I'm new to this forum and this is my first post =D I have a question about Athlon XP CPUs. I am planning on getting a CPU upgrade. I was wondering if an Athlon XP-M 2500+ Barton would run and overclock on my currentAsus A7V266-E motherboard? It has a 266mhz bus and not 333mhz. Or am I better off going with an AthlonXP 2400+ (266mhz version non-barton) and overclocking that?

OR does will I not be able to do any overclock at all with my mobo??

Any advice would be appreciated!

http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

says no support for Bartons on your mobo.

(There's no way around this, I tried on another mobo that had no support for specific CPUs)

This means your only choice is T-Bred B, get a cheap 2100+ B from newegg.com and with adequate cooling and PSU brand you can overclock it to 2.3 GHz, guaranteed.

Ahhhh. Alright. So if I were to overclock a Athlon XP 2100 TB, I would up the bus speed right? Multiplier will be locked right?

Negative, 2100+ B is a guaranteed unlocked CPU.

MHz speed = FSB x multiplier

You have PC2100 RAM? Then expect 140s or low 150s FSB and up the multiplier with that.

You have PC2700 RAM? Then expect high 180s or low 190s FSB...

Be sure to use non-retail cooling, T-Bred B retail cooling is no good.

Thanks! My mobo only supports PC2100 so I think I will hafta go with 2100 and playing around with my multiplier.

Hey, how bout an AthlonXP 2400+ TB? The store I'm getting it at is on sale. Would my mobo be able to over clock that by changing my mutlipier too?

EDIT: Crap... I'm pretty much stuck with a 2400 without any overclocking eh? If my mobo only supports up to 266 (133*2) mhz and the multiplier is stuck at 15, 2g is the max I can get right?

Last edited:
Get the 2100+ B or you'll be sorry.

2400+ may be multiplier locked depending when it was manufactured.
It does not overclock better than 2100+ B either.

With 2100+ B you can do 150 x 15, something like that with adequate cooling and PSU brand.

hehe. alright. I just thought I wouldn't get much of a performance boost from the current xp 1800+ cpu i have. but i think i will go wif a 2100.

Wait, which 1800+ do you have and what did you overclock it too.
Which heatsink, PSU brand?

Volcano 6+

Not overclocked at all. Y? I don't even know what PUS brand means hehe... <--- supa noob!!

Heh I bought my comp from a store as a whole so I'm sure I got a crappy *** power supply.

I'm not at home right now so I can't try it out. But I was wondering, how fast can I overclock an AthlonXP 1800+ to?

1800+ Palomino? Not much when compare to
1800+ T-Bred A which averages 2.0 GHz and
1800+ T-Bred B which averages 2.3 Ghz.

Probably less with an inexpensive PSU.
Volcano 6+ is better than retail but not great.

Either way, it would be a nice OC if it was an 1800+ B.

wow 5H!T u kidding me? I can go up to 2g? Hehehehe time to go home and give it a try. *crossed fingers its not a Palomino.

Also, why do I hafta get a new PSU? Would I need more watt if I up the voltage to my CPU?

One more thing, do you think my volcano 6 could support such clock speed of 2g? Or would I hafta get a new fan anyways?

i probably slap on a different heatsink, i got a better heatsink than u, running a cooller chip, and my temp are hitting on the high 40C at loaded. and a new PSU is probably needed, if it's not good enough then it might wipe out ur whole system when overload. better safe than sorry. check ur CPU again, it might be a good OCer.

Back