• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to check for bad ram holding back oc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MLMIB

I have kingston pc 4000 ram, 'n a 2.8 c p4 that can do 3.5 ghz at stock voltage. whenever I set it to do that though it's not stable, no matter how much voltage I give it. question is that I've heard this is due to the ram possiblly not being compatible with my mobo(an is7-e) how would I check this? does anyone know?

Can't you just change dividers? Have the RAM run async at 250fsb, then run memtest - if it errors, it's the memory. Or change the divider to bring the RAM to a slower speed, and if it's still unstable then it's the CPU.

Certain boards have known issues with some dividers (IC7 series doesn't like 5:4 divider at higher FSB's, etc). Try the 3:2 divider as well as the 5:4 divider to make sure it's not board-related.

Also try more ram voltage, loose timings, using one stick instead of two, using them them in different slots, etc.

tried running it with a 225 fsb witha 5/4 divider(so the ram was only doin 180) 'n it still reset overnight, any idea's what might be 'causing it? it did boot into windows fine.

Back