• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS P4C800-e Deluxe droop mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cheece2001

are there any sites on the internet on how to do this droop mod to fix the voltage instabilities under full load. Cause i really can't find it on the net. All i see is the vdim mod and sometimes a come across the droop mod but its all over the place. can some1 tell me how to do one from the very begining. LIke i don't know how to start to do it. Treat me like i don't know anything about doing the mod and if u can please post some high queslity pics.

I just want to do the mod and have seccess in doing it and not mess up by being stressed and not knowing what to do.
Stuff like that. lol

Thanks

whats the difference if u do the board or just get a Pc & powercooling with adjustable rails so your voltages doesnt droop???

whats the difference if u do the board or just get a Pc & powercooling with adjustable rails so your voltages doesnt droop???

Because the PSU is not the source of the problem. I'ts the power regulation circuit on the motherboard that causes fluctuation. In turn this mod gives the regulating circuit a false reading to keep the power to the CPU constant.

Is it just me or was that link a picture of barney

thats all I got from it :confused:

do all of these boards have this fluctuation proble. cause i juts ordered it and i don't know if i should do the droop mod right out of the box or not. i heard there is a rev 2 version of the board, and whats the big diference between the previous version?

Hi-

burn in the new board then send it off for a droop mod. the rev2 isn't any better than the first ones.

I've the rev2, gig-a-4400, and a 3.2EE plus all the other bells and whistles.
without the droop mod, stability is 220 fsb with the vcore @ 1.675v. Under load, the vcore 'droops' to average 1.5v which makes the system kind of unstable. Any more voltage and I've exceeded the capabilities of my cooling.

the rev2 is the P4C-800E-Deluxe. Has the Promise contoller and the Intel LAN, onboard audio etc...

Have the mod done. you'll need it for stability without frying your chip.

To confuse matters more, I had a 100K trimmer for the mod and it worked fine. Now that I've backed off the vcore, I set the bios to 1.55 and only need 670 Ohms to get 1.60 idle and 1.58 load. Then around 800 Ohms the vcore droops to 1.45-1.50 and stays there until around 30K Ohms where it picks up again to a slight overvolt of 0.2v.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Every post I've read says set to 28 but my question is how do we know where we are.

I did find one post that said start at the highest resistance, would that be a right turn or left.

I think I might have found the answer I was looking for. It was in the P4C/P4P Vdimm sticky. The VR otherwise known as POT is tested on the digital volt meter.

so basically when i do the droop mod it will stabilize my voltages. I guese i need to do the mod cause my voltages are jumping from 1.62 to 1.54 underload. When i do the droop mod i hope it fixes that. After the mod is done can i still chage the voltages in the bios or is the voltage fixed when u do the droop mod.

if the mods makes it fixed at only one vltages setting, how would i go about chnaging the setting if this is what happens when the mod is done.

The bios will allow you to change the voltages up past 1.60 v. Only do the droop mod if you know the voltage fluctuation is holding you back, causing instability.

cheece2001 said:
so basically when i do the droop mod it will stabilize my voltages. I guese i need to do the mod cause my voltages are jumping from 1.62 to 1.54 underload. When i do the droop mod i hope it fixes that. After the mod is done can i still chage the voltages in the bios or is the voltage fixed when u do the droop mod.

if the mods makes it fixed at only one vltages setting, how would i go about chnaging the setting if this is what happens when the mod is done.

The VR/POT has a adjustable screw that turns.

Threre's 3 lets on it. One of the leg is ground but keep in mind you need two legs.

You'll set it it what the VR/POT is say 50K should be 50K then you lower it to what you need, most ussually do 28 ohm. You need it to be a little higher then what you need to be stable so when it's on load your at the voltage you need.

Set your Digital meter to read ohm

Black is ground, I've read the midle leg on a POT is ground. The red goes to the other leg.

Edit: Lower resistance on the VR/POT increase voltage

Edit again: You might want to down clocks things and set Vcore to 1.52 in the BIOS before doing the mod. After the mod check your voltage in the bIOS and adjust if needed in the BIOS.

Last edited:
so can u like tell me all of the equipment that i need for this to be completed besides that volt meter thingy and the pot. i need a sodlering gun right and solder, right?

Yeah, those are the same exact mods for the P4C800-E Deluxe.

You need a trimmer (poteniometer / vairable resistor), 15 watt soldering iron, 0.8mm (.032) rosin core solder also known as 60/40, and some wire that's at least 30 gauge. 28 guage is thicker and thicker is always better. 24 guage would work too. If you go to the Intel Motherboards forum here under Asus, you'll find a sticky for the vdimm mod. Searching for the drop mod also gives information. You can search on my name and find a droop mod pic and info. posted a few months back.

Back