• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

newbie having problems with a amd 2500xp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

techbota

Registered
My system is a
amd 2500
msi kt6 delta MB
1X512 unknown ddr pc3200
Geforce 4 4600ti 4x agp
XP pro
AMI bios
2 case fans in and 2 blowing out
Some big A$$ copper heat sink with a unknown fan running at 4900 rpm on top...lol

I wanted to see what it would do so I read about OC cpus some today and thought I would try. Some folks are reporting up to 3200 speeds with low temps.

My multiplyer is locked! So I uped my FSB from 166 to 176.

Ran some SYSOFT burnins at got the temps to 58c
15 minutes of UT2k4 and I was at 64 c

It was stable for about a hour so I thought I would pump it up some more so I tried a jump to 190! Well it didnt like that much and I had to clear my cmos. (black screen)

My voltage is set at 1.650

If I up that will it allow me to work that FSB up?

Will doing that increase my temp by too much do you think???

Any info would be great...thanks.

Whoa there pardner. Something sound wrong to me. First off, this really should be in the AMD section. They will be able to help you more in there. Second, those temps are hotter than a 2 dollar pistol on a Saturday night. You are going to fry your CPU if you don't fix them.

If you had
Some big A$$ copper heat sink with a unknown fan running at 4900 rpm on top...lol
then your temps should sit around 35-45c. Even with an overclock. My Barton 2800 ran @284 FSB and 30-36c.

If you can lower your temps to a normal range, your Overclocking experience would greatly improve. But ask the AMD guys, they know more than me about Bartons.

Bartons tend to run a little warmer than you would first expect. My stock hsf kept my cpu at about 64°C load and then I put a Vantec Aeroflow with some AS5 on and the temps dropped about 10°C. Not to bad. But to answer your voltage question, yes increasing the voltage would help oc your computer. But only go up by about .02V at at time after you go past 1.70 From what I've read, going above 1.75 is dangerous and most people get into the 200 range with 1.75V on their AMD's. Just start out slow, no more jumping by 15 at a time around the 200 mark. Some people can make it past 200 and some can't. So don't be dissappointed if you can't. Heck, I'm getting a new mobo soon, but I can't oc my AMD as it is right now. So you're lucky in that respect.

Sorry im new to the forums and didnt look to well like all newbs im sure:D

I reset my bios to stock and my temps are at a steady 54c so I think AMD is much higher than you think.

Heck my 1800 has been running at 60-65c for years not overclocked!

I will put this in the AMD forums

thanx please delete this thread.

Oh, and one other thing. Do you have AS5 on that big copper heatsink? Please say you have at least some paste under it.
If you do, try to get more air flowing over the heatsink, that might be part of your problem. Not having enough air going over the copper fins. Also, upping the voltage and FSB will also increase the temps, so get the cooling first and then oc your rig.

Back