• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon 64 3200 : Athlon 64-FX51

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

f012t12

From what I've been able to tell, it's only a clock frequency difference. Am I correct?

Oh wait, socket type. Anyways, would the 500 extra dollars be worth it in any noticeable way?

I'm interested in purchasing the 3200, however is the FX-51 worth saving up for?

its not just clock speed. the fx uses dual-channel memory, the 3200 uses single. that being said, the performance between the two is close enough that its really not worth the extra $$ unless youre using some really memory intensive apps. in gaming and office tasks, youwont notice the difference

socket 939 is comming soon and dual channel will come for the regular a64s too, making the fx almost useless

All right, thanks a lot for your advice. You can't go wrong with waiting. I'm kind of paranoid over feeling that I've gotten my money's worth.

If you're familiar with Monk, a television series on TNT I believe, he's bacteria phobic. In my unfortunate case, I’m framerate/detail phobic. It’s important that I’ll notice a substantial difference between my new AMD 64-bit system and my current P 4 Willamette.

Well, there will be a huge difference even if I bought a 2800.

you will certainly notice a difference over thet willie. You will no longer be cpu limited even @ stock speeds. I would go with a 3200 over the fx, you might want to wait till the nforce3 250 boards come out, they should be availible in late may, possibly a little sooner for sckt 754.

fx will never be totally useless even when 939 is released...

they will still have unlocked clock multipliers

also they will have 1mb cache witch will make them useful in applications and games which take advantage of that.

f012t12 said:
All right, thanks a lot for your advice. You can't go wrong with waiting. I'm kind of paranoid over feeling that I've gotten my money's worth.

If you're familiar with Monk, a television series on TNT I believe, he's bacteria phobic. In my unfortunate case, I’m framerate/detail phobic. It’s important that I’ll notice a substantial difference between my new AMD 64-bit system and my current P 4 Willamette.

Well, there will be a huge difference even if I bought a 2800.

Moneys worth for overclocking...

If you want to look at things like that the Duron is the best deal @$40 can hit 2.4Ghz, followed by the moblie barton @$100 can hit ~2.6Ghz, then a 2.8C @180 ~ 3.5Ghz, then the A64's which can only mildly OC and cost a bundle, then the celerons, then the A64FX's and P4 EE's which are a total waste price/performance. JMO

I would get either a moblie xp or a 2.8C for bleeding edge performance at a reasonable price. And yes you will notice a signifgant difference with either.

There's always "something coming" and hence always something to wait for. Unless you like waiting just buy something now and be done with it.

Back