• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Athlon X2 64 4600+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tysonrss

Hello, I am looking to overlock this processor.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+
Windsor
Brand ID : 4
Am2 socket 940
90 nm
1.104 core voltage

2.0 GB RAM DDR2, Windows 7 Ultimate x86

I'm hoping to get at least 2.8 GHz - 3.2 GHz.

DRAM frequency is 200.9 MHz - 400 MHz. manufacture , Centon.

Could someone tell me good voltage settings and clock speeds? I would like to get at least 40-50 FPS with Dolphin emulator.

There is nothing going to approximate a group of settings that will 'just fit' your setup. Too too many variables and we have no idea the motherboard in use.

Windsor
V core = 1.3V / 1.35V
Maximum operating temperature = 55°C - 70°C

So for you to be seeing about 1.1Vcore you have to have Cool N Quiet turned on and the Cpu P state is lowering the cpu speed and voltage.

You would have to disable Cool N Quet and manually set Cpu voltage to at least 1.35 and raise FSB in increments of 5 toward 233 which would give you about 2800Mhz. I would test each 5 FSB increment upward with a 20 minute run of Prime 95 running in blend mode with HWMonitor open on the desktop monitoring the min/max temps and voltages.

When you raise the FSB the ram speed will increase also and depending on the ram; the ram speed will not likely go beyond about DDR 440 which in the ram tab of CPUz would read about 220Mhz. So you should drop the ram divider to 166/DDR333 as you start your FSB increasing process. Dropping the ram divider will keep the ram closer to its' rated speed as the FSB increases and the CPU speed increases.

Then it becomes a trial and error process for voltage increases between your board and your cooling and your cpu and your ram to see how far into the 2.8Ghz to 3.2 Ghz range you can attain.

What motherboard do you have (make and model)? To overclock the CPU, the motherboard will need to offer the ability to change the CPU frequency and voltage and the memory divider.

Are you using the stock cooler or an aftermarket cooler and if the latter, what is it?

And Centon is not known for being a PC enthusiast class memory manufacturer so as RGone already indicated, don't count on the memory being able to overclock. Since the memory frequency is tuned to the CPU frequency it will increase as you overclock. This means you would need to lower the starting speed of the memory (change the "divider") from 400 to 333 to create some headroom.

If your motherboard has some basic overclocking controls and with good aftermarket cooling and good case ventilation, 2.8 might be possible but 3.1 seems out of reach. The 90nm fab process of those CPUs makes them run hot.

Last edited:
I've a Biostar, model N68SA-M2S.

I tried setting the cpu speed higher last night for kicks, but the motherboard went into safe mode. It appears it won't let me overclock, despite given the ability >_>.

Anyway, I think it's a stock cooler. Looks like your average fan and heatsink. If it helps any, My PSU is supposedly 500W. I say supposedly because it has a bag fat *** 500 on it. It's an ATX PSU made by coolmaster and has a fun embedded in it.

Also, I think it's worth posting that sometimes, at random(like browsing the internet), it would start to sound as if the PC is working harder, like the fan is getting faster or something. Temps go up ti 45-50 without notice. I don't know what fault is at with that one.

EDIT: The settings look a lot different than what was told to me. Anyway, I disabled Cool N Quiet and set the Vcore to what I was told. I changed something to 2400MHz and than changed the cpu frequency to 215MHz and now I have 2583.6 MHz. When I set the frequency up to 220, I got a BOD when loading CPUID.

I know I can get something better than 2.6 GHz >_>

EDIT: Someone was right, can't even go higher than 2.6, it doesn't boot if it's at 218MHz. Also, DRAM frequency won't go down below 400MHz, it's that at default.

EDIT: Now I'm getting BOD's every few minutes, set everything to default. Before than I tried raising HT by x5 and nothing.

Last edited:
It's probably the memory being driven to fast that's causing the instability. If the motherboard is going into safe mode it's protecting itself. That CPU is drawing too much power when overclocked it sounds like.

Yeah, it only goes into safe mode when I choose a frequency higher than 220MHz

tyson, I looked in your owner's manual online and there is no way to change the memory divider. I'm sorry but your motherboard does not have hardly any overclocking potential.

Oh...I see. Well, thanks guys.

Hopefully one of these days, I require a better PC for Dolphin.

Oh...I see. Well, thanks guys.

Hopefully one of these days, I require a better PC for Dolphin.

The more power we have had the more power the programmers eat up. So it comes a time that just forces us to power up with new stuff. Good luck man.

Back