• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I know that the L12 mod worked?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ZTaylor

Registered
When I fist installed my 2600 barton mobile, I went into bios but didnt see anywhere to load optimized defaults. The multiplier was at 5 and the mhz was 133.

Just wonder how I can tell if the L12 mod worked.

:)

You need to load the Optimized setting in the BIOS...the go to the CPU settings...the new settings will be 6x166 or 11x200 which every FSB you did the L12 mod first...

The mod will not show up until after you load the Optimized BIOS settings first...if it worked the CPU will be changed...if it didn't then the CPU will still read as 5x133...

After yuo load the Optimized settings and seen that the L12 mod worked...then go and set your BIOS settings to your own personal settings...

Simplest way is to reset the CMOS through the jumper when you install the L12 mod. When it restarts, it should default to whatever you set it to 166/200.

Took me three tries before the pins settled correctly, so don't give up!

is there any difference between recognizing a cpu as 166fsb or 200 fsb??? because I modded as 200fsb (connected 3 holes with 2 wires) and optimal setting reads as default 166fsb. i'd like to know if i'm missing out on any extra performance I can squeeze out from it.

wicked-one said:
Simplest way is to reset the CMOS through the jumper when you install the L12 mod. When it restarts, it should default to whatever you set it to 166/200.

Took me three tries before the pins settled correctly, so don't give up!

Now to make sure I understand. Set the bios to 166x15. Load up windows. Shut down puter and reset cmos. Turn on puter and go into bios and should read 166x15. If it reverts back to 5x100 then it didnt work. Is that correct?:)

glock19owner said:
You need to load the Optimized setting in the BIOS...the go to the CPU settings...the new settings will be 6x166 or 11x200 which every FSB you did the L12 mod first...

The mod will not show up until after you load the Optimized BIOS settings first...if it worked the CPU will be changed...if it didn't then the CPU will still read as 5x133...

After yuo load the Optimized settings and seen that the L12 mod worked...then go and set your BIOS settings to your own personal settings...

How do u load the optimized settings? Do I put the default setting of 133x15 into bios rather than boot up with the 5x100?

In the Bios, select "load optimized default settings" save and when you boot up it should show 166fsb x 6. Just change the fsb and multi to what you want it to be.

maxima88 said:
In the Bios, select "load optimized default settings" save and when you boot up it should show 166fsb x 6. Just change the fsb and multi to what you want it to be.

Ok, found the load optimized default in the bios.

Thanks everyone for the help.
:)

I always get the AMD CPUs mixed up and can never figure out default multi and fsb, since I pretty much crank up the fsb over 200 from the gitgo. So on the XP1700 and XP2100s I have, what are their default fsb and what do I shoot for on the L12 mod?

Now to make sure I understand. Set the bios to 166x15. Load up windows. Shut down puter and reset cmos. Turn on puter and go into bios and should read 166x15. If it reverts back to 5x100 then it didnt work. Is that correct?
What?? Where'd you get 166*15 from? You're confusing me! :)

If you reset the CMOS through the on-board jumper (check your manual if you don't know how to do this, you really should), it will reset your mobile to 6*133. If the mod works, it will default to 6*166/200 - whatever you set the fsb to.

Cleavor, shoot for 166 or 200. It's proven not to matter. 166 is easier, but I like to default mine to 200, because it's a ***** to scroll through the options, anytime I need to reset the CMOS.

maxima88 said:

Did your mod work?

Yep the mod worked. 166X6 was what the bios said after loading the optimized default.

wicked one
I thought that the 2600 default was 166x15 :eek:

Thanks again everyone.

I tried the L12 mod last night on an 8RDA+, Rev. 1.1, which I hear works, and I think it does. Since I'm running BH-6 and max VDIMM is 2.86 on an unmodded board, hard to discern since that is the limiting factor. I went for 133>166.

Before the mod I was stuck at 218-220 with BH-5, BH-6, and PC4000, so something's holding me back here. After the mod my BH-6 went from 218 to 222, 2-3-2-5 3D stable. DDR444 is about right for 2.86 vDIMM. Before it would error out in Memtest above 218, now it goes to 223, 3D stable at 222. The board just feels more uninhibited now.

However, at optimized defaults, fsb still shows as 133, so it doesn't behave quite like the Abit boards. I think due to it's odd FID or whatever.

To tell for sure, I have to try the PC4000 tonight, which can do 275 fsb sync at that VDIMM on P4 boards. If it's working I should do 235-245 or so, I imagine.

The Epox doesn't overclock as well as the Abit. Guys on the Epox forums would kill for 222 fsb 2-3-2-5 with BH-6 on an unmodded 8RDA+ :D - DC too, albeit with 256 MB sticks.

Back