• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

confused about L12 mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oc_byagi

UPDATED* NF7 L12 mod and cause of Siren

i'm very confused about L12 mod for Mobile Athlons and NF7-S, every site i check seems to give me different holes to fill the wires in. here are the several sites i've checked:
http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/html/workshop/pinmod/amd_pinmod.html
http://www.logan.eclipse.co.uk/abit_nf7_(s)_v2_0.htm
http://www.geocities.com/trats102002/nf7sFsbsense.html
http://s6.invisionfree.com/underclock/index.php?showtopic=30 (pics are down at the moment)
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=187887&perpage=30&pagenumber=12

so far, i've connected AH30-AH32 and AH31-AH32 but it's only detected as 166fsb, and i'm limited around 222fsb. now im thinking if i do this right (detecting at 200fsb) i might be able to reach higher fsb? I'm about to try connecting AH28-AH30 to see if that works, but before i take a risk, am I correct on what I'm doing?
please help!

Last edited:
The geocities guide showed that it made no difference defaulting from 166 - 200. That's the one I used and it worked fine for me. Resolved the major 10/10.5 multi issues on my Alby.
http://www.geocities.com/trats102002/nf7sFsbsense.html

If you want 200fsb, connect ag31 to ah32 & connect ah30 to ah28. Remove the other pin (AH30-AH32) that you've installed to set it to 166.

You should be able to go above 222 if you did everything right. Are you sure it defaulted to 166? Also make sure your RAM isn't holding you back either, you might have to loosen the timings. You should try running them @ 2-2-3-11 anyway (<> 2-2-3-6), because that has been shown to be faster in nForce2 boards.

Last edited:
thanx for the reply.
yeah, i'm sure it's detecting as 166fsb, and i had changed my timings when i found out about setting the last as 11, just not the sig. well, the site does seem to show that there isn't any difference between 166fsb and 200fsb but those are tested with thoroughbreds and may be different with mobiles (at least i hope so, i need 230+fsb).
o well im gonna give a shot at it then.

I'm a bit confused too, If get a new mobile 2600 on an nf7-s will i be able to set my fsb to 200 without any mods or do i have to perform the L12 mod to get it up to 200?

you should be able to overclock past 200fsb, but by forcing the "default" of your cpu as "166 or 200fsb" instead of 133fsb mobile suppose to give u more head room for fsb overclocking. even by doing the way geocities site showed only detected my mobile as 166fsb, anyone got any thoughts?

Took me 3 tries to get it working on mine, oc. Looked like the pins were setting correctly, but apparently they were not.

So did changing it help you at all? Did you loosen the timings?

my enermax 460W cabling seems to be broken, gotta go buy new one : (

after getting antec true-controle 550, system looks rock solid.
and after doing some random stuff, i've taken off L12 mod and i was still able to boot @ 220fsb, as i have stated, with L12 mod (detecting 166fsb), i was stuck at 222fsb to keep stability. Gotta try more stuff out.

Last edited:
after several hours changing around with the settings, i don't seem to be able to default at 200fsb. It suppose to detect somewhere around 200 x 10 when I load optimal settings in bios rite? Can more people clarify which pins they hav done? At the moment, I don't seem to be getting any benefit from L12 mod.

this whole thing is so complicated.

I thought you just connected 28 to 30 for a mobile to make it 200fsb. and after that you might get higher FSB, might not. but thats all there was to it.

I've tried several settings, changing around the wires and all I got today was problems. Sirens that never go away (had to bend the diode everytime I put the cpu back in, and i love how wires tend to lift the cpu to set the siren on), one mobile xp dies, etc.
Can people plz share the results of L12 mod.... this is really stressing me out. (mobile/NF7, holes connected, improvements, etc)

diode broke off, ah this sensor ****es me off, why hav it under the socket and forces you to touch the processor, when L12 mod will raise the processor, god daammitt

you where actually supposed to lightly press down on the CPU corners to make the CPU seat flush...then lock it down...

You werent locking the CPU down while it was still slightly raised where you?

ah, i've done so many times, i've done both ways. I killed one mobile like that, damaging from the bottom. you never get this siren crap?
because even when i do make a contact with a cpu, once i raise the vcore, it goes off again. After all, i wasn't completely sure if this siren was all caused from thermal diode.

I lightly push down on the corners of the CPU and made sure it was seated flush before locking it down...and no, not after re-adjusting the diode the first time...but I could feel the diode touching the CPU when I was seating it...

And I could never get 200FSB to work either...got 166 without any issues...200 just wouldnt register...even though I know for a fact the wire trick was done 100% correctly...

aww, that's unlucky, I tend to hear this board as one of the top boards for nforce2, so i've decided to have a go but it doesn't seem too much of an improvement over A7N8X I had previously. I mean having that (loose/weak/LOUD/requiring a contact with cpu) diode is definitely not a best way even though it may give more precise temperature.

I love this board...loved my first rev 2.0 better though...

this board will run at 260 MB stable...not with my memory though...wont last for long with only 2.9v's...better memory would make is stable at 260...

One thing though...the NF7's are very picky on tweaking...they are not set up for beginners or for most intermediate OCers...you have to take your time and be patient with it...but once you find the right settings for it...you'll be glad you have it, well one besides that one...lol...

I see.
by the way glock, the siren on NF7 never goes off when you raise your vcore up to 1.9, 2.0+? I'm asking this because I did attach my cpu with the diode and the siren went away, but once i've raised the vcore, it went off again.

I had that issue...runs for a few with anything past 1.93v's...then shuts down and the sirens go off...while the system is still on...or if it core is set past 2v's...it gets them right away...and most of the times that is not from the Diode...but from the OVP kicking in...and so far I have not found a OVP mod for the newer NF7's...

Back