• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

L12 Mod Confusion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JPetrillo

Alright, I just got my Mobile XP 2600+ in the mail today. I want to do the L12 Mod and this isnt making sence to me! I went to two different sources to see how to do it, and they DID NOT match! :confused:

Here is what I used as my 1st source and here is what I used as my 2nd source.

Now the 1st source has me connecting the 3rd and 4th pins, but the 2nd source has me connecting the 4th and 5th holes... shouldnt it be the 3rd and 4th holes instead (or the 4th and 5th pins instead of the 3rd and 4th)?

Here are the pics to help show you what I mean:

L12_2.jpg

This is showing which ones to connect.

L12_3.jpg

See how it is saying to connect the 3rd and 4th ones...

L12_4.jpg

Now, this is from the 2nd source, they are showing that you connect the 4th and 5th... here is a quote from their site:
to force166fsb on a 133fsb CPU, connect ah30 to ah28
So which am I supposed to do?!?!

Yeah, I'd like to know as well. I'm using a mobile 2500+ and I'm not sure whether I should connect ah30 and ah32 or connect ah28 and ah30?

PunkRawk911 said:
Yeah, I'd like to know as well. I'm using a mobile 2500+ and I'm not sure whether I should connect ah30 and ah32 or connect ah28 and ah30?
Yes really, each are saying the opposite :( Someone has to remember or must have used one of these two to do their L12 mod! :D

PunkRawk911 said:

go from ah30 to ah32, but i think that ah28 could work also, but i dont know for sure. see the point is to ground pin ah30, and both ah28 and ah32 *should* be grounds, but the "correct way, should be ah30-ah32.

EDIT: the interactive pimod(sorce 1) also says to connect ah32-ah30, you jsut have be to sure to select "cpu socket view" and then you have to turn the image 180 degrees ;) :thup:

Attachments

• L12jpg.jpg
    L12jpg.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 455
Last edited:
It doesn't matter what pins you use, as long as they are connected to the ground (VSS). there are a lot of pins that are connected to the ground, so there are several ways to do this L12 mod. Both ways that are shown above are correct, only done a bit differently, while having the same effect.

P.S. Post edited, due to info from post below

Last edited:
yes, i just recommended ah32 because i know it works(i alway try to go by "say what you know, not what you heard) ;) , and i dont wanna mislead. L12 uses Vss(ground).

jess1313, you did it by going through ah32 and ah30, or ah32 and ah28?

I'm about to do ah32 and 30 :)

Thanks.

Alright, cool. And did you rap the wire around the pins? Probably not... you made the wire " [ " shape and stuck it in the socket, right? Because I got my CPU now, but I wont have the new motherboard till tomorrow lol ;)

just follow the instructions on the source 2 to make the wire. you'll need to make the wire in "U" shape and drop it into the ah30 and ah32 holes. you might need to adjust the length of wire to fit into the socket. make sure the wire is not sticking out of the socket.

homer77 said:
just follow the instructions on the source 2 to make the wire. you'll need to make the wire in "U" shape and drop it into the ah30 and ah32 holes. you might need to adjust the length of wire to fit into the socket. make sure the wire is not sticking out of the socket.

exacly :thup:

oh wait a minute! I just popped my new mobile barton 2500+ into my AN& mobo and went straight to 210 X 12.5 . You guys mean to tell me this puppy can do better with that mod?

Attachments

• cpu-z.JPG
    cpu-z.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 424
L12 mod helps some mb/cpu to pass the 220fsb barrier.

It helps for some ppl, but doesn't do anything for others. L12 mod didn't help me that much.

recon it can't hurt to try it. I can't get to the 220 FSB on my AN7 so I will give it a shot...here we go...and right after I finally got my TIM burnt in :|

HOLY CRAP! It works! was able to nail 220 FSB right out of the gates...never been able to get past 211....NICE ya'll!

Attachments

• cpu-z1.JPG
    cpu-z1.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 420
sorry guys this is just the best think since sliced bread! I hit a new marker...way to go L12 mod woot!

Abit AN7
Barton 2500+M
512 of BOBO Gumps cheap arse ram 256X2 dual channle
5:4 cpu/ram
TicTac's tweaked BIOS version 16

I am very happy now. it's late so i am going to let it run like this for the rest of the night till I can get back to her around 10 PM tomarrow :) I am feel like a ocing god now!

Attachments

• cpu-z2.JPG
    cpu-z2.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 417
FizzledFiend said:
sorry guys this is just the best think since sliced bread! I hit a new marker...way to go L12 mod woot!

Abit AN7
Barton 2500+M
512 of BOBO Gumps cheap arse ram 256X2 dual channle
5:4 cpu/ram
TicTac's tweaked BIOS version 16

I am very happy now. it's late so i am going to let it run like this for the rest of the night till I can get back to her around 10 PM tomarrow :) I am feel like a ocing god now!

congratz! :thup:
i noticed you are running 5:4 ratio on cpu/ram, from what i read, it's best for amd to go 1:1 ratio. time to upgrade the ram?? :p

Yeah, its better to have a lower FSB than running the memory async from the FSB, as it causes a really heavy performance hit, due to increased latencies. I recommend you drop your FSB and up the multiplier and put the memory:fsb ratio back to 1:1.

homer77, you're right, only running async hurts performance on the AthlonXP platform, on the Athlon64 there is no noticable performance hit, so if it allows to increase the speed a lot more, its only an advantage. but on XP its really useless.

Back