• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A Team Challenge Has Been Brought! What will we do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
Count down timer here.

Contest sponsor here. Note: Sponsor may not be the right word. The competition is hosted by(?) the [H]ord.

Edited 1/17/24 Rules: Fold as much as we can as a team.

Date/Time:
"Yes, race starts at 12:00 UTC and ends at 11:59 UTC. If you are in US, challenge starts on Jan 24[th] 7am/4am ET/PT time and ends on Jan 31st 7am/4am ET/PT (coincides with the ending of FAH BigAdv program, I know it is not something that we want to remember, lol).
Stats are taken from EOC site. The stat is updated every 3 hours based on CT time zone..."

Teams in the race to date are:
1. [H]ard|OCP
2. TAAT - https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/5th-anniversary-fah-bigadv-eol-anniversary-challenge.2616855/
3. EVGA - https://forums.evga.com/m/tm.aspx?m=3617414
4. ExtremeHW - https://extremehw.net/topic/3523-ex...foldathon-h-invite-january-24th-31st-1200-utc
5. OC.com - https://www.overclockers.com/forums...e-for-the-fah-competition.804689/post-8202314

So a challenge has been put to us. What are we going to do?

Last edited:
I am too lazy to check/read everything ... do I have to do anything or just fold for Team 32 as usual?

It’s been a while since I’ve done anything here. It looks as though the guide has been updated in 2022. Is everything in there still valid with respect to any optimizations or anything new of note?

This is a surprise. In about half a day, I made 5.7m points. Ryzen 7800X3D/stock+RTX4070/70% power limit. The last time I remember, 2m/day was good on a single card. I'm just checking what I can set for the challenge.

It’s been a while since I’ve done anything here. It looks as though the guide has been updated in 2022. Is everything in there still valid with respect to any optimizations or anything new of note?
Not much, there are a few flags you can set like:
client-type advanced
next-unit-percentage 100
max-packet-size big

I should probably test things out for the challenge this week too. Make sure I'm getting what I should at least...

EDIT: Done. 4060Ti and 3070 are spun up. Let's see if I did it right (both I and T32 get credit) in the moring! :clap::rock:

EDIT2: And we're cooking with fire!

Last edited:
I should probably test things out for the challenge this week too. Make sure I'm getting what I should at least...

EDIT: Done. 4060Ti and 3070 are spun up. Let's see if I did it right (both I and T32 get credit) in the moring! :clap::rock:

EDIT2: And we're cooking with fire!
What... You don't have a couple 4090s in your drawer? 🤔😇

Updated the first post. The race is total team against the other teams. We just have to fold as hard as we can for a week. Then, any folding you borrowed from friends and family can be returned.

Note: When using other people's computers, you *must* have explicit permission. This isn't a rule of the race but a rule of F@H. If you "borrow" computing power from someone who doesn't want you to do that, it gives F@H a bad reputation. Borg what you can but be up front about it.

4090 will come online that week. I know it's setup right. :)
So, the next step is to be a bit more efficient. Moving the 3070 over to the same system where the 4060 Ti is...

Any idea how much I would lose (if any) when running on a 4.0 x4 slot? I think it will save me around 100W total...

My folding farm is mostly 2x GPU on x8 Gen3. Two of the hosts have 1x 4070Ti on x16 Gen 3. On linux, all my 4070Ti have similar ppd on same projects, although the 1x 4070Ti may have 1 second TPF lower on some projects, most likely related to temperature... Windows folding uses more PCIE bandwidth than linux, but suspect the x4 Gen 4 will be OK and that temperature will be more of an issue.

Why not give linux a try. Ubuntu 22.04 has Folding@Home in Ubuntu Software (Science) as a snap, which installs both FAHClient and FAHControl. Took me about 50 minutes to install U2204 and start folding on a spare SSD last night...

Back