• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A Team Challenge Has Been Brought! What will we do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So, the next step is to be a bit more efficient. Moving the 3070 over to the same system where the 4060 Ti is...

Any idea how much I would lose (if any) when running on a 4.0 x4 slot? I think it will save me around 100W total...
I can't see how this will be an issue as I didn't think it's throughput intensive, thus I don't think you'd save anything. You still receive 75W via the slot and whatever via external power.

I can't see how this will be an issue as I didn't think it's throughput intensive, thus I don't think you'd save anything. You still receive 75W via the slot and whatever via external power.
Instead of two systems running, I'd have one. That system idles around 75W, so with the CPU use, that's about 100W I'd save by not running two systems with one card each. GPU use doesn't change, of course. :)

My folding farm is mostly 2x GPU on x8 Gen3. Two of the hosts have 1x 4070Ti on x16 Gen 3. On linux, all my 4070Ti have similar ppd on same projects, although the 1x 4070Ti may have 1 second TPF lower on some projects, most likely related to temperature... Windows folding uses more PCIE bandwidth than linux, but suspect the x4 Gen 4 will be OK and that temperature will be more of an issue.

Why not give linux a try. Ubuntu 22.04 has Folding@Home in Ubuntu Software (Science) as a snap, which installs both FAHClient and FAHControl. Took me about 50 minutes to install U2204 and start folding on a spare SSD last night...
Did you use any documentation for that H. I couldn't get snap to work at all on 2204.
The folding forums have a nice write up on the 20 00... But I haven't found anything on the 2204. Some of us need it splained like we're 5-year-olds... :chair:

That would be great for my 4070 TI's.. I'm going to be kind of stuck next week cuz Ubuntu does not have a driver for the supers. I figured I would switch a 4070 TI to my Ubuntu machine and put the 4070 TI super in the Windows 10.

Just put a 4070 super in my 11 machine. It's doing much nicer than I thought. 12mill plus ppd on a 18215 currently.

Last edited:
I do have some notes, more of an outline, not really useful for other folks. I plan to make another spare disk this afternoon and will write down the steps in order.
Basic method.
Install U2204, minimal, no extra drivers or updates
Update Ubuntu and reboot
Install Nvidia driver (Add driver PPA to get the newest driver)
Copy FAH config.xml + GPUs.txt to host
var/snap/folding-at-home-fcole90/common
Install Folding@Home using Ubuntu Software (Science)
Extra Software (Boinc, sensors)
Extra Stuff (coolbits to enable overclocking, startup script to set fans/overclock) (Terminal command to set power limits)

Looks like Linux 4070 Super support in driver released 2 days ago, but do not know if it is in the driver PPA yet. My hosts are using 545 series (currently 545.29.06), but will try the 535 series in the fresh build today and see what version installs..

Linux x64 (AMD64/EM64T) Display Driver
Version: 535.154.05
Operating System: Linux 64-bit
Release Date: January 16, 2024

Okay. Not sure how helpful this will be but here is a quick look of who we are up against.
Overclockers.com - 761.4 million ppd. - 63 active folders. Wait. What now?! we are up 11 active folders. WOOT! Thank you.
EVGA -------------- 580.0 million ppd. - 92 active folders.
[H]ardOCP -------- 256.2 million ppd. - 70 active folders.
TAAT (AnandTech) - 817.3 million ppd. - 76 active folders.
ExtremeHW -------- 213.6 million ppd. - 25 active folders.

If I understand the rules, we are a sure win for #2. I don't know if there is an equalization to the raw scores or not. I do know that the chimp challenge was plagued with issues in trying to level the playing field. There was (in the chimp challenge) attempts made year to year to make it fun for all teams with various manipulation of the raw scores to give each team a chance to win. Looking at the above stats, there is a real chance for any team to do well.

I'm saying to you all now, whether we win or not, we all win. Each and every one of us. If we can produce more than we normally would have during this race, the potential for a cancer cure is closer than it would otherwise have been. Now, that's the cry of the loser. We must win this thing. We will have bragging rights until the next race. So win we must. 2nd place is the first loser and so on.

Joking aside. This race is a chance for us to have fun and see what we can do. Be kind to our sister teams in this race but lets try to put the screws to 'em for the week. I'd be happy with a 2nd place but I;m shooting for 1st. Lets get 'er done.

Five (5) days to start. Get the word out and make something happen for a week. That's all we need. More production for a week starting in 5 days. Got it? In 5 days we need more powa!

Looks like Linux 4070 Super support in driver released 2 days ago, but do not know if it is in the driver PPA yet. My hosts are using 545 series (currently 545.29.06), but will try the 535 series in the fresh build today and see what version installs..

The U2204 nvidia-driver-535 installed from Ubuntu Additional Drivers is 535.146.02 (released 12-07-2023). Still get the same version (535.146.02) after purging nvidia*, adding the driver PPA, updating, and installing nvidia-driver-535.

Proprietary GPU Drivers

Your got me back :) I can currently do 2 gtx-1080 ti.. I downloaded the windows version and tried to set up the client. I tried to use my passkey but was told that it needed to be a 32 bit hexadecimal value:shrug::shrug: I filled out the info for FAH to resend me my passkey and it was the same one I had tried. I can’t remember if it is needed for better points. The Big Adv does that work for GPU’s, I can’t remember.

Your got me back :) I can currently do 2 gtx-1080 ti.. I downloaded the windows version and tried to set up the client. I tried to use my passkey but was told that it needed to be a 32 bit hexadecimal value:shrug::shrug: I filled out the info for FAH to resend me my passkey and it was the same one I had tried. I can’t remember if it is needed for better points. The Big Adv does that work for GPU’s, I can’t remember.
You can skip the big adv. You will need a passkey tho for the bonus. I think after 20 with a new passkey the bonus kicks in.

The flag to use is next-unit-percentage 100.

Also only run the GPU client.

Last edited:
@MaddMutt Welcome back. On the passkey, Maybe you got some extra character in the copy. Try copy/paste passkey from the email into a text editor, then copy/paste from text editor into FAH.

BA long gone and was CPU only. My 1080Ti make ~2.3MM ppd in linux with power limits set at 185-200W.
Post magically merged:

Need 10 wu to qualify passkey with a user name and maintain 80% successful return rate to keep the bonus active.

Last edited:
I've just discovered that a 3080ti has a ~5M PPD difference between Win and *nix, favoring the latter. Oof....time for a crash course getting this thing to work.

I've just discovered that a 3080ti has a ~5M PPD difference between Win and *nix, favoring the latter. Oof....time for a crash course getting this thing to work.
That sounds like an incredibly large difference for that card. Is that Folding.lars site acurrate? My 3070 was 7M PPD+ in W11...3080 Ti isn't less than 1M points away... I'm thinking it's closer to a 9-10M PPD card in Windows and 12M in *nix...

Is that Folding.lars site acurrate?
🤷‍♂️ With the alleged sample size, maybe? If I have enough time between now and the start I will play with it some more, else, it is what it is.

Actually, you’re probably right, it’s more like 1.5M. There seems to be some extreme that throws off the main page stats.

That would be great for my 4070 TI's.. I'm going to be kind of stuck next week cuz Ubuntu does not have a driver for the supers. I figured I would switch a 4070 TI to my Ubuntu machine and put the 4070 TI super in the Windows 10.

Just put a 4070 super in my 11 machine. It's doing much nicer than I thought. 12mill plus ppd on a 18215 currently.

@dfonda

U2204 software updates this evening included nvidia 535 driver upgrade to 535.154.05 (previous 535.146.02), which provides support for 4070 Super.

No special effort required, other than installing the driver ppa.

Proprietary GPU Drivers
Adding this PPA to your system
You can update your system with unsupported packages from this untrusted PPA by adding ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa to your system's Software Sources.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
sudo apt update

@dfonda

U2204 software updates this evening included nvidia 535 driver upgrade to 535.154.05 (previous 535.146.02), which provides support for 4070 Super.

No special effort required, other than installing the driver ppa.

Proprietary GPU Drivers
Adding this PPA to your system
You can update your system with unsupported packages from this untrusted PPA by adding ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa to your system's Software Sources.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
sudo apt update
You do know that the Nvidia drivers are now kept in the main repos and having just checked the version you listed is indeed avail in said repo right?

Yes. Ubuntu Repository has a version of nvidia-driver-535. Has the "tested" version been updated to 535.154.05.

Someone would have to install to find out exact version.

Yes. Ubuntu Repository has a version of nvidia-driver-535. Has the "tested" version been updated to 535.154.05.

Someone would have to install to find out exact version.
OMG I can't read. I read your 'previous version' as what you were sayin was the current one. Totally my bust. Been elbow deep in parts all night. Thanks for the douse of cold water (y)

That not 32bit, it's 32 digit hex number, the passkey is a 128bit number, each hex digit is 4 bits.

passkey.jpg

Last edited:
Back