• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Compressor Anti-Freeze??? help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tony420

I NEED TO CONTACT SILVERSINKSAM, BEFORE I GET ADDE
Hi, I recently modded the thermostat on my AC so the compressor always stays on and it works perfect but, my only problem is at night time when the outside air gets much colder the small part connected to the compressor with all the copper tubing freezes and I have to baby it to keep it from freezing. I only have this problem at night time but it still sucks...Is there anything I can wrap the copper and the smaller compressor part in (the things that freeze) because once they freeze it hinders the cooling of the AC a lot...

If I were to just take the AC inside all the way and close the window it would fix the problem at night but in the process it would make my room hot...which I dont want... I pretty much wouldnt mind wrapping the tubing in liek styrofoam or somthing (if this would keep it from getting moist and then eventually freezing)

what is this ac doing? is it just cooling the room your in?
is it in a cooler running a chiller? im sure you could just insulate the line no matter what. if its the cold pipe which is about 1/4 inch around coming out of the compressor going to a radiator you can wrap it with insulation. i would use seal string or the pipe stuff at home depot.

the ac is just blowing on my pc...

btw thanks for your help...

and what does this insulation i need look like ? could you possibly show me some sort of online purchace (just so i can see it :rolleyes: )

If it runs all the time it will freeze. The use of a thermal coupler that cycles the compressor at a prerset temp.might solve your problem

It only freezes at night time because it gets colder than the outside temp... I dont really know about all that high tech stuff I just want to keep it from freezing at night :) Will insulating it stop the freezing at night?

no digital camera... but, There is a big compressor, then there is a smaller looking one connected at the bottom with thick copper which leads to the front for the cold air...

i think that is like a storage tank so it can run with a wider range of operating temps.
i would say just adjust the thermometer on it so it turns on and off the compressor just enough to keep it from freezing.

I coverd the sides and top with a blanket so only the rear exhaust is open to the cold air... It makes it run at daytime tempatures :) no more freezing

Back