• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is silverprop the only copper GPU block?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlueMan

I'm trying to build an all-copper system. I'll be using either the MCW6002 or the TDX as my waterblock, I have a Fedco 2-342 (GDI 399090) HC, and a mag3.

i looked at the Maze4 gpu blocks, but they have anodized aluminum in them. I've heard the anodization helps, but is not perfect at preventing corrosion.

is the silverprop the only copper gpu block? It's fairly expensive. Also, what is the difference between the normal and the HL?

I got the polarflo block with the copper top on ebay for about $36 shipped.
The colored tops are aluminum, but the copper one is well....copper along with a copper bottom and plastic barbs.

not that expensive, you might be looking at canadian dollars.

its 45$ or so.

but yeah, its copper and brass. apparently brass doesnt cause a problem... I donno, I got it as well for that reason, but I beleive my heatercore is still throwing off the plan.

Silverprop aren't all copper iirc. they have a brass top.

works just as well as far as corrosion is concerned though...

is criticool the only place that sells the silverprop HL?

teamgreen said:
I got the polarflo block with the copper top on ebay for about $36 shipped.
The colored tops are aluminum, but the copper one is well....copper along with a copper bottom and plastic barbs.

i dont see that on polarflos website for sale. i think it might also just be copper plating if you have one with copper.

:rolleyes:
zip22 said:
i dont see that on polarflos website for sale. i think it might also just be copper plating if you have one with copper.

the polarflo is copper plated, not solid copper

BlueMan said:
is criticool the only place that sells the silverprop HL?

I bought mine at bestpcmods, the HL model. You can fit OCZ copper ramsinks under the barbs just fine, but only with the HL. The guy might hook you up with the geforce mounting kit too (he did for me and another guy on here) -for free. The original mounting clips suck and wont hold the block up, no way. Plus no fears of corrosion with brass. I don't even use antifreeze, just pure water and dye. It's an all-copper/brass system.

And the block works great. My core (reading from the back of the card) never goes over 39C, and that's under extreme temps and stress.

EDIT:
Photo, best one I have at the moment:
tempsensor2.jpg

BlueMan said:
do you need the mounting brackets for a Radeon 9700 pro?

Get it from bestpcmods and in the extra message tell the guy you want the nvidia mounting hardware. He'll send it along with the block no charge. I have the HL and it clears ramsinks nicely. Barbs are also integrated into the design so less likely to have leaks.

Why are you so set on an all-copper system in the first place? Anodized aluminum is passivated to the point that it doesn't corrode in the presence of copper. Unless you want to use Cherry Coke as your coolant, anodized aluminum won't give you any problems. It'll be cheaper and easier to get ahold of, too.

ive seen quite a few threads where people pulled al/cu blocks apart and found alot of corrosion. using additives will help but alum and copper will always corrode when they are in contact with water around.

I've seen those threads, too, but it seems that they always either used a corrosion-causing coolant like tap water or in one memorable instance, Cherry Coke. I had a thread a while back that asked that very question, and no one that answered had any problems whatsoever.

A-Speck said:
I've seen those threads, too, but it seems that they always either used a corrosion-causing coolant like tap water or in one memorable instance, Cherry Coke. I had a thread a while back that asked that very question, and no one that answered had any problems whatsoever.

Very true, Alu is perfectly sutible for a waterblock. It only corrodes when people abuse it

that might be good news - as i'm having a hard time ordering from criticool - something about US to canadian currency conversion.

What is the best GPU block besides the silverprop? Maze4?

and can anyone else speak to the safety of anodized aluminum blocks?

Back