• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Drive won't show up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HK_recoil

Registered
I just reformated my main HD. Before I did this I unplugged my slave drive so I wouldn't lose any data like I have in the past. Now I plugged it back in, it shows up in my hardware profile but not in My Computer. So now I can't access it. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Yea, try this.
Right click on my computer, select 'Manage'
On the left click on where it says 'Disk Management' and your drives will show up on the right. On your slave drive click on the picture of the partition near the bottom, right click on it, and select 'Change Drive Letter and Paths' and choose a drive letter for it, and you should be set to go

If this doesnt make any sense, let me know and i can take some screenshots of it and post them. Im not sure if there is any other way to do this, it is just the way i have always done it....

When I right click on it the only options I see is to delete partition and help?

Also, I would delete this partition if I had too. But is there ANY way for me to get the info off it before I do? There is a lot of info I would cry if I lost.

Check and be sure you have your jumpers configured correctly, i have seen times like this that the jumpers were wrong, and you could detect the drive, but couldnt access any of it..

You could always use like, knoppix or some other linux live bootable CD and just copy the contents you want to save from that drive to another. It could be your MBR also, so you may want to erase the mbr and, upon bootup, it will rewrite it.

The jumpers are OK because they are exactly like I had them right before I formated. As for this MBR, what is that?

OK, Master boot record. Since the drive isn't labeled how would I delete it? The command is something like FDISK/mbr? The drive actually shows up as STORAGE in the disk manager but it won't allow me to do anything except delete it. So how would be the command to delete the mbr for this drive? Remember, there is no letter associated to it.
Thanks for your help!!! I need all the help I can get here.

Last edited:
Back