• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP, Data Error "Cyclic Redundancy Check" l386/asms - installing windows XP home

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hooah

HELP, Data Error "Cyclic Redundancy Check" l386/asms - installing windows XP home

I'm re-formating my system and installing XP home like i've done many times before, but now it gives this error right after you select delete previous versions of windows...it goes to the screen that says 39 minutes remaining and then

Fatal Error - Cyclic Redundancy Check

and it won't let me continue. Any ideas?

EDIT: Just found this article in microsoft knowledge base, possibility my hard-drive has become corrupted...odd. It gives a few ideas such as try using repair when asked if I want to repair previous install of windows. I have a raptor that should be here sometime next week, but I still need this hard-drive to work as it will be going in another rig.

Last edited:
I tried cleaning the installation cd, no dice. I'm trying install again but not using quick NTFS, then i guess i'll try repair like microsoft forums suggested. Weird, i've never had this problem before and the hard-drive seems to work perfect. This is retail version of windows XP home as well. I only have 1 CD drive on the laptop i'm using to type this while I try formating my desktop, so can't copy the cd.

ARG, still does it. I'll try repairing the install now and see if that helps. What a F$%& ing piece of **** windows XP is.

I'm running check disk right now under with recovery console under chkdsk /r to see if that helps. If not looks like i'll have to get ahold of Western Digital as this thing is still under warranty I believe. I really don't think its the hard-drive though, cause it never showed any problems at all, I think its something with windows XP!

Last edited:
Tried both types of repair, deleted previous partitions....everything. I'm RMA'ing the hard-drive as its all I can think of. I just used this CD to format the system like a week and a half ago so the windows XP CD works...only thing I can think of is the hard-drive has some problem. Oh well, by the time Western Digital gets me a new one i'll likely have the Raptor hooked up and running.

and yes...this was all done at stock

Last edited:
i'm onto plan B before RMA. That is to use Dban to completely wipe all contents of the hard-drive. If that dosen't allow XP to install, it will definately be going back to WD. My Raptor should arrive in about a week so atleast i'll have it running at 10000RPM bliss :D

i'm onto plan B before RMA. That is to use Dban to completely wipe all contents of the hard-drive. If that dosen't allow XP to install, it will definately be going back to WD. My Raptor should arrive in about a week so atleast i'll have it running at 10000RPM bliss :D

We build computers and recently this error comes out on every other machine when installing Windows XP. I've never had this issue before and we buid over 200 new PC's a year. It is not HDD. Usually we just delete partitions and format hdd one more time. Most of the time it will go through at the 2nd attempt. Sometimes it doesn't. We have to use different Windows XP installation disc and than it works. But the same CD that worked on one machine may not work on the other. Weird. It looks like it is a random thing. It also looks like Miscrosoft is aware of it. They just don't want to admit that they are respnsible for this problem.

dosent this error mean the disk is unreadable somewhere? ie - data read from the disk dosent match the data written to the hdd?

It could also be a problem with the cable connecting the hd or cd drive to the controller. Used to see this quite a bit back when I was still using pata cables.

Wow, this is an extremely old thread.

CRC errors really can't be blamed on Microsoft, you have a data integrity error. Basically, the data that it read (either from the disc, memory or hard drive) doesn't match the checksum. It tries to re-read it a few times, fails and displays that error message. This can happen in any operating system, so it definetely is not just limited to Windows.

Ummmm didn't realize this had been revived from 2004 :eek: Someone let Doc Brown know his Delorean is running loose.

It is probally the HD if the CD is known good. Download Darieks Boot and Nuke and Nuke the Hard drvie, LLF. Do a DOD short 3 pass, this may take a day or so but it will remapp your sectors on the drive and fix the problem, if the drive isnt alread spun

Im having the same problem with this cyclic redundancy stopping my installation of windows xp. I reformatted the drive and set up the partition. Now it stops at 39mins and gives the same error as the person above.

I need some help to reinstall the windows i have. How do i delete this partial installation so i can do the installation again? when i boot the computer up it tries to resume install the dodgy installation of windows again.

please help!

thanks

Just boot off the CD again and repeat the install process (reformat).

But before you do any of this, get a hard drive diagnostic program from the manufacturer of the hard drive and run it to see if the hard drive is good or not.

If it passes then run a memory test on the RAM.

It is probally the HD if the CD is known good. Download Darieks Boot and Nuke and Nuke the Hard drvie, LLF. Do a DOD short 3 pass, this may take a day or so but it will remapp your sectors on the drive and fix the problem, if the drive isnt alread spun

DBAN won't remap sectors.

DBAN won't remap sectors.

RJ,

This will but it's not free:

http://www.grc.com/default.htm

I've used it for 14 years from V3 and it's saved a few hard drives by remapping bad sectors and locking them out. Play the video. After the initial cost many years ago the updates are minimal in cost.

I had a new Raptor 75 GB that was giving me a problem with data written to bad sectors. Spinrite analyzed the sectors, locked them out and moved the data. It's been fine ever since. WD Diags said sent it back. As the video shows, it can give you fair warning ahead of time that something isn't right. Too many drives fail catastrophically with no warning today.

i dont think the hd is the problem....wen i try to boot the cd...it goes straight to the install option first...and tries to install and then the same error happens...how do i allow it to reformat again and avoid that windows setup?

Back