• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Having trouble installing Windows 98SE to USB drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stompah

Deep Pain Senior Member
Hi guys, I just scored a HP laptop that was designed for Windows XP. I want to run some older games on it. But I also do not want to overwrite the internal hard drive until I can verify that Windows 98SE will run on it.

So I set out to install Windows onto a USB drive. I get as far as the first Windows setup screen and it gives me an error that Windows needs at least 16 mb of memory to install. When I click on ok it takes me out of setup and back to DOS prompt.

The laptop is using Pentium M and has 2GB of RAM with 1gig internally installed and the other in the expansion slot. Going from 2 to 1 gig gives me the same result. I am not looking to source RAM (don't want to spend the money.)

Is there a modification I can do to the install files to only recognize 512mb of RAM? Or some other work around?

Thanks for the help guys.

Why not create a virtual machine (VM) within XP and install 98SE on that? I mean if your just trying to do proof of concept...

Why not create a virtual machine (VM) within XP and install 98SE on that? I mean if your just trying to do proof of concept...

a laptop that old probably doesnt support virtualization technologies, a requirement of virtual machines. not to mention it wouldnt help troubleshoot his hardware issues as all the hardware in a vm is.. well.. virtual.

a laptop that old probably doesnt support virtualization technologies, a requirement of virtual machines. not to mention it wouldnt help troubleshoot his hardware issues as all the hardware in a vm is.. well.. virtual.
Perhaps but I've seen VM supported in some very old machines. I could be wrong. You have a good point on the rest of the hardware.

Back