• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Make partition bootable

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

amazon10x

I need to make a local partition on my computer bootable similar to a bootable floppy. I would just boot from the floppy but i only have a USB floppy drive and the computer i'm on doesnt support booting from it. So, what I did was I copied everything from the bootable floppy over to the partition (the partition is empty besides the files just copied) and then i set it to active and when it goes to load it wheni restart it give the invalid boot disk error. How do I make this bootable?

If its meant to be bootable I would think you would need the partition marked as bootable and a config.sys and autoexec.bat file but I could be wrong.

I didn't do it the last time I reloaded, but I always used to create a separate partition of about 40Mb and load DOS 6.22 on it before I loaded up my windows partition. That way I always had a good load of DOS to make boot disks etc. You may be able to load DOS onto another partition as well and boot from it or just copy the appropriate system files and boot from it. If your using NT, 2000, or XP you will have to add a line to your boot.ini file to make it show up in the boot list and with 2000 or XP I believe you will have to mark the partition as a primary partition. Someone else may want to verify this as I don't have any references available at the moment and am shooting from memory right now.

Will DOS 6.22 see a fat32 partition?

Also, how would i go about installing dos 6.22 without booting from a floppy? Can it be done in Windows?

Back