• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Has RAMMBUS 1066Mhz RDram gone down in price yet?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TommyHolly

I am stuck with that crappy Ram...(See my Sig below) and I need more than 512Mb of it. The thing is you have to buy it in pairs and it's exteremly rare and therefore costs a ton of money. For the price of upgrading to 1024Mb I could buy a top of the line PC.

Does anyone have any suggestions? (Besides overclocking it because it's still under warranty from Dell)

I have the exact same computer except the guy who originally ordered mine got a gig to start with. Oh and the vid card isnt a 9700 Pro its a non pro but you can flash the Vid Bios to accept Pro drivers. Its still not as good as a 9800 Pro though.

Tracker: Question. What does your post have anything to do with the thread?

And to TommyHolly: I thought you can run a single stick, you just have to have those little Continuity(sp?) sticks I think they are called to close up the circuit?

No, they need to be installed in pairs unless you have the P4T533 motherboard which uses the 32-bit (240 pin) RIMMs. The C-RIMM is if you have 2 sticks on a 4-stick motherboard. You'd need to put the C-RIMMs in the two unused slots.

And no, they still haven't really gone down in price.

It would be best to move on from that platform. The good news is that the RAMBUS already in your system will sell for a bundle on Ebay. You should be able to unload the Dell mobo, non-standard PSU and RAMBUS on Ebay get a new P4 motherboard, better cooling and some DDR for next to nothing out of pocket. Then you'll be able to properly overclock that 3.06 chip.

Sounds like I am better off selling the PC in a year or so when I can't play the laest games.

Really? Should I sell the whole system together or just cannabalize the spare parts and sell them seperate?

I bought the PC for $1,900 only a year and a half ago... I can't see really getting rid of it so soon while it still beats out more than 75% of PCs out there. It still plays the latest games like DoomIII on High Quality settings.

I was thinking about waiting till the 64bit operating systems come out and then buy a 64bit PC?

RD ram...I dont miss it. Fast as heck, but since Intel stopped supporting it, it's more of a hinderance than a benefit.
I think you would be happier selling the ram/mobo and buying a new mobo, ram and maybe a case. Depending on what you get, you should be able to 'upgrade' for little cash.

Or you could do what I did and retire the system as a server and build a whole new rig.

violineb said:
More like, sell your PC now. I have the exact same, except with a 9700non pro. (no I'm not quoting Tracker) What I can say is that you'd be much happier selling it now when you can still get some money for the parts :)

His CPU is a 3.06 GHz P4 and it's no slouch. All it needs is a good home with some DDR and an adjustable FSB.

I've been trying to find 2x512MB of 32-bit PC1066 for my P4T533 for well over a year now. I'm not willing to give one of my freaking arms for it either. My system is fast and great for video stuff, but this will be the last time I ever buy ANYTHING Rambus.

I hear ya brother! I feel the same way. If I'd only known that it would be so hard to upgrade, I would have gotten 1,024Mb in the first place. Dell was really bragging about the RDram at the time as the best thing around so I went for it.

Back