• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me build my first dream system...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Wait.... Das gives a student discount!?! On any of their keyboards? Please say it's so!? Those things are gorgeous and feel incredible. I just couldn't talk myself into spending $120+ on on pre shipping and taxes.

That's too bad about the Blackwidow... A couple people on other forums have said the same. :(

http://www.daskeyboard.com/education-discount-program/

yep just need a copy of your student ID and you get a 24% discount on all of there products, just ordered mine last night

So I'm struggling with the decision on the motherboard. Right now it's between the Asus P8P67 Deluxe, the Asus Sabertooth P67, or the Asrock Extreme6 P67.

Help!

Case suggestion

Why not go with the Cooler master Haf 932? or any of the others in that series. I have the 932 and it was the best 100.00 i could spend. It really is a great cooling case and has plenty of room to work. :attn:

From what I've read, with the new Sandy Bridge architecture, with a little luck (let's hope they ship me a strong cpu) I should be able to hit 4.5Ghz relatively easy with that cooler. The WD Caviar Black is very much still an idea. It will mainly depend on the pricing at the moment I am buying an hdd. Thanks! :D

They can ship you the worst SB ever made and you'll hit 4.5

The question is 5+, not 4.5. That's guaranteed.

As for the mobo choice, I feel Gigabyte's P67 boards are very nice and I would buy one. The model choice, given that SB is a strong overclocker on it's own with little reliance on MOBO past power phasing, comes down to PCIE bandwidth. Do you want an NF200 chip for extra lanes? Or not?

What that comes down to is do you want to run two graphics cards at full speed or 16/8?

Will you be running 6 hard drives? Will you add a crazy bandwidth sucking PCIE revodrive? Soundcard? The more you plan to abuse PCIE bandwidth, the more an NF200 is a good idea. The one downfall of P67 is not enough PCIE lanes. Expensive P67 boards remedy this.

From what you are looking for on a motherboard why not just go with an asrock extreme4 and have an extra $50 to invest elsewhere.
From what I understand the extreme6 will add two sata ports and two usb ports, as well as an extra ethernet jack, unless you need those extra ports.

As for overclocking it seems that the extreme4 has done very well, from what I have read.

Bump *hella updated*

I have the Extreme6 up here as opposed to the Extreme4 for two reasons. The first being I have heard the Extreme6 has more power phases (hoping that equals less heat when overclocking) and second and less importantly it has a floppy port (lol).

Sounds like a very nice build. Very similar to the one I just built. I went with the Intel SSD because of it's reliability, is not as fast as other brands.

You can't go wrong with the Corsair HX850 psu, I was able to get this for $135 after rebates from newegg, very nice psu.

Sounds like a very nice build. Very similar to the one I just built. I went with the Intel SSD because of it's reliability, is not as fast as other brands.

You can't go wrong with the Corsair HX850 psu, I was able to get this for $135 after rebates from newegg, very nice psu.

Oh wow, our builds really ARE similar. Well great minds and all that... :)

So how are you liking your build so far? How's the performance for you been? And since our builds are nearly the same... Have you noticed any aspects you wish you would have changed??

Thanks again!

Oh wow, our builds really ARE similar. Well great minds and all that... :)

So how are you liking your build so far? How's the performance for you been? And since our builds are nearly the same... Have you noticed any aspects you wish you would have changed??

Thanks again!

The system is running great not much I would change. The one thing I may change is the cpu cooler, it does a good job of keeping the cpu cool but is the loudest thing in the computer, I would like something quiet.

The corsair 650D case is excellent and made it very easy to manage all the wires and thier were a lot more wires then I thought there would be.

Asus P8P67 Deluxe motherboard looks great and feels very solid, I really like the new bios. This was my first build and I had no problem overclocking the cpu to 4.5ghz, I just followed a guide I found on here and it took me about 15 mins.

My I5-2500k @4.5ghz 1.27vcore, is great was very easy to overclock.

The EVGA GTX 570 runs everything at 1920 by 1080 with high settings. I have not had any problems running any games, Bad Company 2, Crysis Warhead and Metro 2033.

The SSD is very fast my boot times are around 13 seconds. Bad Company 2 loads almost instantly. The only thing I have been disappointed with is the amount of time it takes to install games on the ssd.

Chose the Corsair HX850 so that I can add another GTX 570 in the future when prices come down.

:rock: This system rocks.

Back