• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is AIM a resource hog?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gingo

I like to keep the bare minimums running on my PC. Usually all I have running in the background are MBM5 and Zone Alarm(sometimes).

Right now I use trillian which is nice, but I hardly use any other messenger besides AOL so its pointless to use trillian which is intended for multiple IM clients. And I miss out on certain features specifically for AIM.
So if I go download the latest version of AIM and install it, will it put a bunch of other useless crap or spyware onto my PC? And how does it do with usage of system resources?

As a general rule, I don't use any of the Instant Messenger software from the providers. What I use instead is GAIM.
I guess you know this, but for info for you or anyone...
This is an open source program and it let's you use any of the well known instant messenger protocols; AIM, Messenger, Jabber, Yahoo, ICQ and more. You will have access to them in one window. Right now, I have Yahoo, AIM and Messenger running at the same time. When you have a "chat" going with more than one person (reguardless of which protocol or protocols) you can switch between them using tabs...very slick!

Take a little to get used to, but I wouldn't be without it. I have no software installed that is supplied by the instant messenger companies themselves.

yea but by using 3rd party programs such as GAIM and Trillian there are things you are unable to do.

When I installed AIM it put
2 AOL icons on my desktop
1 AOL icon at the top of my start menu
1 Folder with AIM things in my start menu
1 Link in my favorites in the 'Links' folder

and GAIM won't let you transfer files to another person (at least i couldn't figure out a way to). You know how AIM has the ability to directly connect to another user? well... gaim can't. its horrible when you want some file/picture to be shared. go ahead and install aim and then download the aim AD hack to get rid of the ADs to comes with AIM. As for spyware. there is an option that asks you if you want it to be installed. I forgot the name of the spyware(it is actually used to play games via aim, but it collects data on ur comp and send it off(according to G4TechTV)).

when u install aim it asked if you want to install wildtangent and weatherbug, UNCLICK the boxes! and no trill is more of a resource hog then aim is.

5.3MB's

hog.jpg

Holy crap. I just installed the latest version of aim, then the ad hack. All is fine and it says aim is using like 2mb of system resources. but after a while it was up to like 19mb. I closed aim and restarted and it is still at like 19 megs. whats with it hogging so much.

gingo said:
Holy crap. I just installed the latest version of aim, then the ad hack. All is fine and it says aim is using like 2mb of system resources. but after a while it was up to like 19mb. I closed aim and restarted and it is still at like 19 megs. whats with it hogging so much.

you have 512MBs of ram...its useing 19MB!!...that leaves you with 493Mbs...im sure it isnt slowing your system down any.

Zatrix said:
mines using 33mb so my system is slow as hell

maybe it'd be faster if you reformatted after installing that new motherboard :p

alien dork said:
with gaim u can't transfer files

i can transfer files fine, just cant direct connect. Though, I am using the linux version.

AOL's AIM puts a bunch of stuff in ProgramFiles/AOD, aol on demand

Zatrix said:
i might not get my new mobo. i dont have hours upon hours to install it and its gonna be too hard. not sure yet

dude, takes 10 minutes to switch out a mobo.

Back