• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help me to get right components for new PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Here is the list of DDR4 16GB total memory they have. I can buy even the most expensive one, if there will be a difference. Because people who play my type of games told that it really matters when it comes to memory.
https://pp.vk.me/c637122/v637122027/120e8/yfzBH3dZdts.jpg
https://pp.vk.me/c637122/v637122027/120f1/ZkJPY8v5Nxw.jpg
https://pp.vk.me/c637122/v637122027/120fa/SrL_xska2WQ.jpg
https://pp.vk.me/c637122/v637122027/12103/ljegeHQJ6no.jpg
https://pp.vk.me/c637122/v637122027/1210c/YAOkOn2YJzg.jpg

Edit: Thank you Mjolnir for analysing my options on Mobos and giving your recommendation!

Another edit: Look at the Factorio performance test under serious circumstances (Not my research) This will tell you what will I probably gain with memory. I've heard that other games don't usually have such a difference with different freqs

Last edited:
RAM speed won't make a huge difference but generally for DDR4, 3000mhz at C15 timings appears to be the sweet spot, and frankly doesn't usually cost that much more (If at all) than 2400mhz counterparts, etc.

Also you can host files locally by using the 'Insert Image' function on your quick reply toolbar, to avoid external links (that may in time be broken).

So, em, according to what you said, something like
Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz 15-17-17-35
Will be just fine for my needs? By the way it costs almost twice as less as G.Skill Ripjaws 4 2666MHz 15-15-15-35, no idea why.

By the way, there are two slightly different markings on LPXes
Corsair Vengeance LPX [CMK16GX4M4B3000C15]
Corsair Vengeance LPX [CMK16GX4M4B3000C15B]
I wonder what that "B" stands for, and why is that one cheaper. Everything else is identical.

The G Skill has 'slightly' tighter overall timings. Depending on location prices between brands can jump very erratically too.. But yes the LPX 3000C15 would be just fine.

I'm assuming B = blue? Different colour. Otherwise the same.

Can you specify your needs a little better?

Im hearing "i wanna play games on this"

but

"2) 3D modeling/Video encoding/Video editing/Rendering, you got the idea. I heard, it is mostly about your CPU when it comes to this thing. I have no problems now, but maybe Sony Vegas will render faster in insanely complex projects?"

this came about.

What type of editing are we doing here? Running adobe premier, after effects and vegas will use whatever you throw at it, but if youre just doing hobbyist stuff, then an i5 will suit you fine. Not saying "dont get the i7", but for gaming and hobbyist stuff, I'd much rather have an i5 and a 1070 vs an i7 and a 970.

as for ram, get the cheapest imo. No sense paying even a dime extra for an imperceivable difference.

I'd much rather have an i5 and a 1070 vs an i7 and a 970.

This is true, unless you play games, which I've specified pretty clearly in my starting post. And I don't really understand, why shall I buy i5, if I can get i7. I don't want to go all over this once again, I rarely ever play games like DOOM. I play games, which will eventually lag at some point anyway, even with 6700K (it will become the bottleneck, along with the RAM throughput). I just want to get that lag later than other gamers.

Another edit: Look at the Factorio performance test under serious circumstances (Not my research)
You see anything like 60FPS there on the graphs? Even powerfull computers can't handle everything, but while 20FPS is totally not playable, 40FPS sounds a lot better.

I'm doing 30fps-to-60fps convertations from time to time, and that takes my current i7-2xxx hours and hours on 100% load to do. I'm using Sony Vegas a lot, and sometimes render videos for hours. Those tasks' needs synergise quite well with my gaiming needs.
This is my last post explaining that I don't need GPU update, which I only bought a year ago. I want to effectively boost my CPU+RAM for my money.

Quick summ of my current list of choises after all the recommendations, so anyone can criticise that without reading through whole topic:

LGA 1151 ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING
LGA 1151 Intel Core i7-6700K
Arctic Cooling MX-4
Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x4GB 3000MHz C15
Corsair CS 650W 80 PLUS GOLD

My additional thoughts (Need your recommendations):
256GB SSD Samsung 850 Pro [MZ-7KE256BW]
Deepcool CAPTAIN 240 (local reviews differ a lot. Some say it's a must have cooling system, but some say their pump was very noisy or even broke and spilled after a year)

Having strugles with case. I really liked looks and design of suggested NZXT S340, but seems like they are out of stock everywhere in my city and near my city.
All other suggested cases - couldn't find them at my place too.

The CS series is 'eh'? category. Do you have anything available like the EVGA Supanova 650w G2 or something like that?

Consider an M.2 drive like the Intel 600P instead for your boot drive? If available from your store. Otherwise the SSD is great.

I would avoid the Deepcool brand based on personal experience. I've seen 2 leak within a couple months at my old job/workshop and have stopped using my own as a result. I can also confirm the pump noise is apparent.

Case wise is really personal preference but the S340 is a nice case (Built in for a friend). Consider perhaps the Corsair 450D (If available) or maybe the Thermaltake V31?

On the PSUs there are 2 options after reading your recommendations and browsing shop:
Corsair CX 650m [CP-9020103-EU] BRONZE
Corsair CS 650W [CP-9020077-EU] GOLD

Should I pay 24% more to get the second one? Both are pretty expensive, but if I don't get overpriced Mobo I shoud handle it.
Also awaiting on advice if I should get UPS device.

I would go with the CS over the CX series, but both should do fine for you.

So? Btw there is no EVGA brand in my shop at all. At the start of this topic Corsairs were recommended too, so why not?

Edit: Checked M.2s. All the ones I can afford use SATA 3 standart. PCE only on those more expencive than that Samsung SSD, and even that one is a little bit too expensive for me already.

Last edited:
So? Btw there is no EVGA brand in my shop at all. At the start of this topic Corsairs were recommended too, so why not?

The CS > CX, but I've found (for the price) the CS was not as good as things in a similar price bracket, that's all. If it's one of the only reasonable options it's not a bad PSU, but generally there are better for the price typically (such as the EVGA, at least in my country, realising it will be different everywhere else, just my input is all).

trents, for the same price as Captain 240 my shop has Noctua NH-D15
Reviews say it's pretty good. Though I'm scared with it's size. (I guess a large case is needed for such a monster)

Mjolnir, shop has Thermaltake Core V31, but no Corsair 450D.

The Noctua NH-D15 is probably the best air cooler on the market. But it is tall as are all of the top end air coolers. A skinny tower case will not provide enough clearance. A case of at least approximately 204 mm thick (8 inches) would be needed. It will cool as well as most any all in one 2x120mm fan water cooler. Not until you get up to the 3x120 fans water coolers will you see much difference.

The NH-D15 is a fantastic cooler. Will likely beat the captain performance wise IMO. Will not fit in the V31 though.

Is the Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 available? Or Fractal Define R5/Define S? All 3 of these will easily fit the D15.

The Corsair 230T should also work with the D15 as well.

Do you have the link to the website you're using? Whether we can understand properly or not it could still help.

Last edited:
This is true, unless you play games, which I've specified pretty clearly in my starting post. And I don't really understand, why shall I buy i5, if I can get i7. I don't want to go all over this once again, I rarely ever play games like DOOM. I play games, which will eventually lag at some point anyway, even with 6700K (it will become the bottleneck, along with the RAM throughput). I just want to get that lag later than other gamers.

You see anything like 60FPS there on the graphs? Even powerfull computers can't handle everything, but while 20FPS is totally not playable, 40FPS sounds a lot better.

I'm doing 30fps-to-60fps convertations from time to time, and that takes my current i7-2xxx hours and hours on 100% load to do. I'm using Sony Vegas a lot, and sometimes render videos for hours. Those tasks' needs synergise quite well with my gaiming needs.
This is my last post explaining that I don't need GPU update, which I only bought a year ago. I want to effectively boost my CPU+RAM for my money.

As I said, I wasn't saying "dont get the i7". That graph you showed is self defeating, did you really look at it? The difference between the "8 thread" and "4 thread" ... is 1 fps (which is honestly in margin for error anyway).

Also, if it takes "hours and hours" to do a render on an i7 "2XXX" [sic], its still going to take "hours and hours" with a 6700k.

Honestly with what youre saying (and what you're doing now), you shouldnt be going 1151 at all anyway.

From suggested I liked and found in my shop 2 models:

Corsair Graphite Series 230T
Fractal Design Define R5

Both seem to fit D15 and all other components, while not being extremely large themself (which I like).
I kind of like Corsair Graphite Series 230Ts price, any downsides? I am planning to choose it now.

EDIT: I also found Noctua NH-D14 in my city too. Costs cheaper. Both D14 and D15 seem identical to me, they have written 220Wt of heatspread.
There is also something like smaller Noctua NH-D9L, and, eh, they've got many different Noctuas. I wonder that I read somewhere, that 6700K is not that terribly hot itself, maybe I should choose something cheaper than top D15 model? If there are no real downsides to D14, I can take that over D15?

I've kind of chosen all the components, thanks to you guys, and already see final price on everything. So, trying to polish it up. Maybe I don't even need comparably expensive D15, I mean.

Last edited:
Essentially, the only difference between the Noctua D14 and D15 is that the D15 has a cutout or a step in the front tower that allows for RAM with taller heat spreaders. Their cooling power will be about the same.

D14 is also a fine choice, but may interfere as Trents stated, with RAM socket area. It's also a little shorter so fits in more cases a little easier (~5mm). 230T has no particular downsides unless you want more than 4 3.5" HDD. The R5 is more roomy, though and easier to cable manage by comparison (by a little). It's also a bit heavier. (I've built in both). If you can afford it, the R5 would be my choice, but the 230T is a fine case too for the money.

Back