• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ Extended Voltage Protection

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bobtod

What's the deal with this? I've just bought some OCZ 4200 EL (Part No. OCZ5331024ELDC-K) and I'm stuck at 278mhz DC 2.5-4-4-7 with 2.8v.

I've currently disabled my Vdimm mobo volt mod and want to know what would happen if I gave it some more juice, say 3.0v. Does the EVP kick in and stop if from posting or does it just do something to the memory voiding my warranty? (Which I don't want to do being as it cost me a fortune)

I'm a bit dissapointed ATM as my crappy corsair bh-5@220mhz 2-2-2-5 is giving me a lot better 3dmark01 score :(

I might have a go at big toe's P4P800 bios hack to enable full PAT/MAM to see if that helps.

ta

bt

The EVP is actually a warranty coverage for your memory that covers end users who wish to use up to 2.9V, in the case of your 533 MHZ. Your memory is doing pretty well, and definitely past spec. Try moving to CL3-4-4-8 timings at 2.9 volts and see if that helps. You won't lose much by moving to CL2.5, but you can gain in stability.

yeah, I guess I meant I was happy it reached 278mhz but disapointed it performed worse than my bh-5. I knew bh-5 was king but I thought a nice 1:1 @ 278mhz would be better.

It wasn't ment to dis OCZ, my ram is now doing 12mhz over its rated speed so I guess I've got a nice improvement over stock ;) I'm just too greedy, I want MORE!

On another note though, I really like the look of this mem, It's the heaviest memory I've ever picked up, and it's got a really cool mirror finish (apart from my greasy finger marks).

Sean, I can't give any more than 2.8v with my mobo without re-connecting my volt mod, but I don't know what voltage it will give without testing with my multi-meter with some ram installed. Unfortunatley my bh-5 has found a new home and I don't fancy setting up the voltage with this ram incase I give it over 3.0v briefly and loose my warranty cover.

Sorry if I was a bit negative earlier, I've just been benching my new gear this weekend. My 3.0C@4ghz is giving me worse 3dmark scores than my old [email protected] and my new OCZ4200EL is giving me worse scores than my old XMS3500. Not my best upgrade so far! I guess theres more to life than benching so ppl keep saying?

bt

Back