• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Two questions about SP2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

legendary

1) Is it safe to allow Windows Update to automatically install updates? I'm just afraid that there might be some sort of virus or exploit that will allow someone to install anything on your computer using Windows Update.

2) I noticed that the firewall opens a port for Universal Plug n Play. I've read a long time ago that uPnP is not safe, but has that changed with the release of SP2?

Just want to get your suggestions before I do anything.

1. well I would think that it would be more safe than anything. But I would set it to notify me when it needs to install updates so you can check with use before, to see if there are any bugs, etc.
2. You can set the firewall to not open ports for uPnP.

Yes, it is fine to allow Windows Update to automatically install updates. I've never heard of an exploit that will do that.

As for UPNP, if you don't use it, it's best to disable it. Having a hole in your firewall that you don't even use makes absolutely no sense, and is just inviting your machine to be exploited.

JigPu

It's as safe as Microsoft makes it. I wouldn't allow it to install automaticly but just download them yourself or let it download them for you. Always read up on the KBs knowlege base articles before installing them so you'll know how that update applies and would affect your system. Frequently some updates break other stuff you have installed. That's why you should also google the update number and see if people are having any problems before you install.

I just prefer to manually install the critical updates that apply to my situation.

I wouldn't trust Universal Plug n Play. It's just another security hole that should remain closed. I haven't missed it or even needed it.

Where are you getting the choice to download or install the updates? On sp2, you can get the download for the multi computer people and then install, but normally you do not have the choice while running update, it installs the updates for you.

Audioaficionado said:
I just prefer to manually install the critical updates that apply to my situation.

I wouldn't trust Universal Plug n Play. It's just another security hole that should remain closed. I haven't missed it or even needed it.

:thup: Exactly what I do.

Yes I agree, I run update myself and pick and choose what to install. Automatic sounds real scary to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back