• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM for K8NS-pro and A64 3200+?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bar

Registered
I want a gig of ram for this setup and would like to try my hand at overclocking. Other components I have or will be getting include a 9800 pro and a Seagate 200Gb SATA HDD if that makes a difference.

Thanks much! :D :D

I've had tremendous success with OCZ memory when matched with both XP and A64 systems. I've used both OCZ's EL series and their Performance line. I haven't tried their new EB series but understand it's even better. I'd look for a good deal on OCZ memory.

Ok say I go OCZ memory what sort do i get pc3200/3500/4000? etc I dont really understand the DDR stuff in relation to overclocking. (noob) Although my motherboard says DDR400+, should this mean I should get OCZ pc3200?

:)

No...actually I'd look into PC3500 - PC4000. Conventional wisdom was that sticking with PC3200 was the way to go with the A64 due to the likelihood of decreased latency via tighter memory timings. I think that notion is getting a bit dated however now the we have working AGP/PCI locks. I've compared some very respectable PC3200 sticks(Corsair & Hyper-X namely) to OCZ PC4k EL and although the PC3200 did have ever so slightly tighter timings(at relatively low memory speeds) neither of the PC3200 sticks get anywhere near the memory speeds of the PC4000.

Cool. So you recommend the OCZ pc4000. Ill have to have a look around and see what kind of price they go for.

Does anyone else have opinion on what sort of Ram to get?

Back