• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan for a Rad?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gongo56

OK take a look at my rig specs. Will 1 80MM DD black Ice Micro cool my rig? I"m thinking probably not. So lets assume I dont want to hack my case apart... will 2 80 MM DD black ice micros cool my rig? I was thinking of just putting 1 at the top fan and 1 at the rear fan.. stagger my tubing to go pump, cpu, rear rad, gpu, top rad, bay res, pump. will that work?

also, what kind of cfm should I be looking to put out on each rad? will 34 do it or shoul i be pushing up of 40-50 cfm?

the thing is, i've seen a lot of 120 mm rads but only 1. wouldnt dual 80 mm rads be better than 1 120 mm rad?

You increase restriction as well as price with the second 120mm rad. Will it work...yes of coarse, but from what I see in your sig you want good performance and you are not going to get it with 2 80mm rads.

Air cooling will be better than 2 80mm rads IMO. Cheaper too.

Either start cutting or stay with air cooling.

So lets assume I dont want to hack my case apart
You want to do something that has a risk to your components(water damage) but you are unwilling to risk cutting the case?

This is something that I see alot from new water coolers and frankly I dont understand it.

it's not that I dont want to hack my case.. its that I then have to go buy the tools to hack my case...

so basically will 1 120mm rad cool enough? I notice you mentioned flow restriction with 2 separate rads, but if I go with a swiftech 650, then the slight flow restrictions shouldnt really matter too much

so should I go 2 x 120mm rads? hmm...

2x120 is good choice, expecially if you want to OC gpu and cpu. I say go with one then grab the other later if you need it.

I have 2 92mm in push/pull on my BIM. but I'm only cooling the cpu. temps are 37c load
fans are 7volted. I made custom 80mm to 92mm resin shrouds. It's on my XP2100 in my daughter's pc. I'd get a chevette or even better 2-342 rad and go 120mm's.

Back