• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory SPD setting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FishD

My board has a couple of settings for the CPU/Ram speed, including 1:1 and SPD . Could someone explain what's the difference.

Thanks.

Fish

Usually, 1:1 refers to the memory ratio and SPD means default (manufacturers recommended) RAM timings. These are kind of two different things. This for your IC7?

Yeah that's what i thought. And its my IC7 allright.
Ive got three stick of ram, one is rated at 166, and the others at 200. Ive got it set at SPD. And ive got the FSB at 240 (std is 200), and the boot up screen says Host/Dram frequency 240/192.

This is not a proportional increase of rated ram speed , as it would be 240/199

Also just checked CPU-z, and it says that the 5:4 ratio is being used. So the system must select the best divider for a specific FSB clock setting. And the bios says 5:4, so im kinda answering my own question, and now understand that my memory is actually running at 192MHz, even though rated only at 166.

Im using a DDR voltage of 2.7, although i can go to 2.8. Are there any dangers inherent in a higher voltage. With a CPU or GPU at least you can see a temperature effect, not so with ram.

Thanks

Fish

Yeah, if you have the memory ratio set to "auto" it must of changed the ratio to 5:4. That's typical with PC3200 if you are running at 240 FSB. Most RAM will handle 2.8v with no problem, but if you can run at 2.7v, then that's better. The thing I don't understand is why are you running 3 sticks of RAM? For dual channel to work, you need 2 or 4 matched sticks. You are losing memory bandwidth by using single channel. I would pull out the PC2100 stick.

Reflashing the BIOS helped with me, but I doubt it will help for you. The other guy solved his problem by swapping RAM. Apparently in rare cases, the RAM has a compatibility problem. Try playing around with just your two matched RAM. Try them in slots 1 & 3, then swap them into slots 2 & 4. They need to both go into the same color dimm slots.

Back