• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ati2dvag.dll error... coz of my OC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tea_J

Hi guys,

I've OC'd my system and it's been super stable on Prime and RightMark Ram Stability tests....

For some reasons, i'm starting to get this BSOD error that says something about ati2dvag.dll error. BSOD says it stopped working.. the Event Log says it was stuck in an infinite loop..

I know there are lots of possibe causes for this.. but what is the most likely? and does this have to do with my OverClock? I had it stabled out. Even till today i prime it for hours and hours. i play games.. seems to be ok.. but sometimes, even doing the simpliest stuffs like opening a document or surfing the net, i get the darn BSOD...

All my drivers are intact (Radeon Omega Drivers).

Any ideas?

tea

P4 2.4A Prescott @ 3.04Ghz (169fsb x18)
MSI P865PE Neo2-PE Platinum Edition
2X 256MB Geil PC3200 DDR400 Dual Channel RAM (@ 426mhz 2.5,4,48)
GeCube Radeon 9550 Extreme Platinum Edition

What's the exact error in the BSOD?...or better yet, copy/paste the ati2dvag.dll error from the Event Log here in this thread. Also, is the OS XP or W2K...and what if any service packs are installed?

Alrite, for the errors, i get 2 kinds.. one of which happens when i move my computer or when i remove the monitor cable to plug into another CPU.. i have 1 monitor and 2 cpu's..

the error goes:
The driver ati2dvag for the display device \Device\Video0 got stuck in an infinite loop. This usually indicates a problem with the device itself or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly. Please check with your hardware device vendor for any driver updates.

The second ati2dvag.dll error happens almost randomly.. whether I am doing graphic intensive tasks or practically nothing.. it just happens.. the BSOD says something about an error with ati2dvag.dll , however the event viewer doesnt have records of the said BSOD error. the next thing i see after reboot is redbook entries which doesnt see anything about the dll error..

I am XP with SP2...

tea

Normally, the "\Device\Video0 got stuck in an infinite loop" error is caused by a faulty video card or excessive AGP Freqency. Is the AGP Frequency setting in the BIOS locked at 66MHz? (assuming the option is available). It's normally called something like "AGP Ratio (CPU:AGP:pCI):", in conjunction with another setting called "Fixed AGP/PCI Freqency:".

Last edited:
yes it's locked @ 66 (default)... PCI @ 33.. i use ATI Tool to overclock my Video Card, however, most of the time it crashes is not during the game (overclocked) environment. Im usually running at normal frequencies when this thing cooks up.. im sure my video card is not bad as i just bought this, and have tried it on my friend's PC..

Also, i'ev ran 3Dmark2001 and 2003 and it completed nicely..

tea

I'm assuming you've already tried uninstalling the Omega's, and installed non-modded CAT's?...and if this is the case, do you still receive the error?

redduc900 said:
I'm assuming you've already tried uninstalling the Omega's, and installed non-modded CAT's?...and if this is the case, do you still receive the error?

yes i have tried that.

:(

tea

Maybe you could try to download the drivers again. I had 9700 Pro for a while and the same thing would happen. When I went back to stock drivers, it stopped happening.

Hopefully the card isn't going belly up.

aite.. i guess ill try that. thanks. ima clean out the drivers and use the stock drivers.. im using OMEGA drivers (latest tho)

Definetly play with the drivers a bit first. I wrote an article a while back about the Infinite Loop Error, it was more geared towards older hardware, but it might help you. Check it out: Fixes for the Infinite Loop Error. Good luck!
:)

Matt

thanks man!

although i got frustrated and just restored an image of my clean installation.. this is the second day and so far i've not been experiencing it anymore.. i will keep your little article just incase!

thanks

tea

Tea_J said:
thanks man!

although i got frustrated and just restored an image of my clean installation.. this is the second day and so far i've not been experiencing it anymore.. i will keep your little article just incase!

thanks

tea

Cool. Glad you got it all figured it out. Don't be a stranger.

Matt

well i dont really have it figured out per say.. hehe.. but atleast it aint happening anymore (so far)..

btw, one of the sure shot things i do that causes this infinite loop error is when i remove the monitor plug from the CPU.. but this time, it's not happening anymore (since my restore)..

My question is, i never thought removing the monitor from the CPU when it's still on cold cause any problems.. i've always thought the the monitor and video card arent dependent. i mean, how could the system know that the monitor is unplugged? therefore triggering the error?

tea

Tea_J said:
well i dont really have it figured out per say.. hehe.. but atleast it aint happening anymore (so far)..

btw, one of the sure shot things i do that causes this infinite loop error is when i remove the monitor plug from the CPU.. but this time, it's not happening anymore (since my restore)..

My question is, i never thought removing the monitor from the CPU when it's still on cold cause any problems.. i've always thought the the monitor and video card arent dependent. i mean, how could the system know that the monitor is unplugged? therefore triggering the error?

tea

By CPU, I think you mean the computer (or you can say, the back of the video card). The CPU refers to the processor, for example, Pentium IV or AMD Athlon XP. Ok, as for your question, that does not sound logical, you are right. There is no reason for the video card to act all funny when you unplug the monitor. Unless, the video card physically slips out of position when you unplug the monitor. That is possible.

Matt

By CPU, I think you mean the computer
ahh yes the geographical traditional differences.. hehe. we're used to saying CPU for the COMPUTER UNIT.. and COMPUTER as a whole (with monitor and etc)... sorry..

But yes, you did get what i meant.... hmm... atleast i know for a fact now that there is no way for the PC (another term?? heh) to act funny when i remove the video card.. :) so i guess the Video card slips out of position.. i did check it and i notice that the agp slot's slide lock thingy is not fully clamped on the video card. i corrected this already. :)

tea

Last edited:
Back