• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Frequent BSOD's while gaming.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LuiTheMinus

Hi everyone,
my name's Luis, and I am trying to help my friend troubleshoot his newly, built computer.
His build
Intel i5-3570k 3.4ghz ivy bridge - with a cooler master 120mm hsf.
8gb GDDR3 1333 mhz gskill ripjaws ram
1tb Hard Drive, Seagate 7200 rpm
Sapphire HD Radeon 7970 ghz edition 3gb 384-bit GDDR5
800w Corsair GS800 PSU
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 mobo
Windows 7 home premium 64-bit
The computer has been BSODing while playing games, Bioshock Infinite, Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, and sometimes Batman Arkham City.

The error code that comes up upon the blue screen is 0x124

Looking at the crash through event viewer, here are two of the logs of the bsod. (both happened while playing Bioshock)

Code:
- System

- Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
[ Guid] {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}

EventID 41

Version 2

Level 1

Task 63

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000000000000002

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2013-06-09T21:41:40.298415500Z

EventRecordID 9106

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 4
[ ThreadID] 8

Channel System

Computer Russ-PC

- Security

[ UserID] S-1-5-18

- EventData

BugcheckCode 292
BugcheckParameter1 0x0
BugcheckParameter2 0xfffffa800a019028
BugcheckParameter3 0xbe200000
BugcheckParameter4 0x2110a
SleepInProgress false
PowerButtonTimestamp 0
and
Code:
- System

- Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
[ Guid] {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}

EventID 41

Version 2

Level 1

Task 63

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000000000000002

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2013-06-09T23:11:31.393613900Z

EventRecordID 9324

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 4
[ ThreadID] 8

Channel System

Computer Russ-PC

- Security

[ UserID] S-1-5-18

- EventData

BugcheckCode 292
BugcheckParameter1 0x0
BugcheckParameter2 0xfffffa800980b028
BugcheckParameter3 0xfe200000
BugcheckParameter4 0x21136
SleepInProgress false
PowerButtonTimestamp 0
Upon looking up the BSOD code 124, I gathered that it was an issue with the graphics driver, so I uninstalled all of the draphics drivers, then reinstalled the factory drivers from the dvd, for HD radeon 7970 graphics.

BSOD still happened after this. I checked the voltage levels, and they were at what the stock settings were. I checked the overclock settings, and they were set to stock.

I ran Memtest through both bios, and from a bootable usb drive, individual sticks, separate slots, both came up as stable.

I ran Intel Burn Test, for about 3-4 hours (we didn't have a whole lot of time) temperature peaked off at 77 degrees celcius, at very high. Everything came up stable.

We were not able to run prime95. ( due to time constraints)

We ran a burn-in test with FurMark 3D, and 3DMark, everything came up as stable, GPU had a consistent 50-90 frames per second and peaked off at 65 degrees celcius. Both were tested in 1080.

And I also ran a DXdiag, and all of the hardware came up as functioning normally.

I set everything to stock through the bios, as mentioned before i fully uninstalled the graphics drivers, reinstalled them. Ran those tests to check for stability, I even uninstalled and reinstalled some drivers that were also giving him some issues, in hopes that it would be a fix (as someone i saw on another forum mentioned that they uninstalled and reinstalled their Network Adapter, and it fixed the BSOD 124 issue for them), the mouse drivers, and the sata drivers.
Worse case scenario, if its software based, we reinstall Windows 7. If hardware based, a lot of his build is still under warranty, so we might be able to swap out for new parts, if need be.
The bsod still occurs when playing those games, particularly Bioshock and FC3.

I am unsure of what to do now, could this be an issue with the games them selves? problem with the hardware? or driver issues?

My friend is currently uninstalling and going to reinstall those games to see if it fixes it.

When we have time, we will do longer tests on the IntelBurn, Prime95, and so on. And post more logs to help out with what we can, about figuring this out.

Thank you for any help that can be given.

Regards,
Luis.

Last edited by a moderator:
And to be clear, any other game we've tossed at it, it played with ease no hiccups or anything, browsing is fine, and at idle its fine.

I will let him know to go back a driver or two, ( though he is currently on the stock drivers from the install disc from sapphire ) I'll have him text me the voltage and current ram speeds.

In my experience, BSODs are almost always an indicator of faulty or unstable RAM. Every time I've had frequent or semi-frequent BSODs this has been the case. Odd that Memtest showed the RAM as stable if you're getting frequent BSODs.

Have you run any disk scans to ensure there aren't bad sectors? Try running HDTune to see if there is anything wrong with the boot disk.

If that turns up nothing, have you tried stressing your system with both the GPU and CPU slammed at the same time? That is running Prime95/OCCT/whatever at the same time you run a Heaven benchmark? The system should be stable with both the CPU and GPU stressed to maximum, give that a shot and let us know.

The harddrive is new, but I will do a chkdsk, (or most likely have him do that, we have conflicting schedules, so this might be a while for me to actually go in and do it, so chances are I'll show him how) and check for anything wrong with the boot, with HDTune.

I will have him run the stress tests whenever he gets the time to be able to do it, and keep an eye on it over the time it would take to perform them. ( I showed him how to do it in increments, slowly raising the settings after each test. Or at least that's how I've always done it, but thats just me being safe )

I will also have him set the VTT to 1.10-1.12v to see if that changes anything before he starts stress testing.

I may also have him test the ram again, at maybe a slightly overclocked frequency to see if it maintains stability.

But again this only seems to happen with bioshock infinite, blood dragon, and batman AC. But we will keep doing hardware tests and give any information that you need, it'll probably take a while though cause like I mentioned differing schedules.

EDIT: Apparently he played blood dragon, and batman AC for a couple hours each, with no bsod whatsoever, it's just bioshock infinite now.
Thanks for the help so far. keep em coming we will try anything to get this PC stable.

Last edited:
Slight update I have him running memtest again but with the ram clocked to 1600 as opposed to its auto clocking at 1333mhz will be keeping you guys informed once he has the time he will be running prime95 and heaven to see what happens.

Yes, definitely mem issue. I had a similar issue when using the xmp profile on my previous build. If I had activated, some games will give me a BSOD.Try to configure the memory settings manually in the BIOS according to the factory settings and give it a shot.

So he just finished the memtest everything came up stable at 1600 he's going to try manual 1333 after he tests with bioshock infinite and crysis 3 and then the actual stress tests.(prime95 and heaven)

Have we looked at the GPU temps yet? Using Furmark? That would be a good max temp test. Maybe the Vregs are overheating due to bad paste etc. Have you tried it with the case side off and a house fan blowing in the case?

The last time we ran furmark the temps peaked at 65 c which I believe is higher than what the norm is.this was a burn in test at 1080p on Max.

Also the reason he was doing crysis was cause that one also bsod'd that one stopped crashing when he manually set the memclock to 1600. He hasn't had the chance to retry bioshock.

Alrighty, so after setting the memory to 1333 and 1600 manually, and running memtest for each, they both came up stable, he ran prime95 over night, stable as well, heaven test also came up as stable. ran the games again, no crashes so far. He is currently keeping his ram clocked at 1600, with the voltage slightly higher to accommodate for the overclocking. He will most likely be getting ram with a higher frequency at some point in the next couple of month.

I would say this is more or less fixed then,(unless of course it starts to act up again, fingers crossed it won't.) Thanks for the help guys! I will post some more for some help on some builds that I am working on. See ya!

yeah, the manual ram settings are what worked, the auto features of that mobo kinda suck, but then again it's more aimed towards tweaking anyways.

Back