• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU Related BSOD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Suppressor1137

Hey guys; I know I have to replace the psu very soon anyways, but I just had a BSOD.

Using the Event Viewer, this is the information I've managed to uncover about it. From a little bit of googling, it has something to do with power delivery interruption, but I can't be sure without some confirmation.

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 7/6/17 3:43:55 PM
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (70368744177664),(2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: DESKTOP-BP9ESQ4
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>5</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000400000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-07-06T19:43:55.847044200Z" />
<EventRecordID>4020</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>DESKTOP-BP9ESQ4</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">59</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0xc0000005</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0xfffff80009e478f0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0xffffe600042de910</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
<Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data>
<Data Name="Checkpoint">0</Data>
<Data Name="ConnectedStandbyInProgress">false</Data>
<Data Name="SystemSleepTransitionsToOn">9</Data>
<Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceId">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckInfoFromEFI">true</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Is this something you would expect to see from a failing Power Supply?

I have had this Exact bluescreen 3 other times. 5/30/17, 6/8/17, 6/20/17.

Have you checked for system stability ? Summer is here some oc's that used to be stable no longer are .
Were you doing the same thing @ each reboot ? ( same game / program )

@ OP- Sure. 41 is an unscheduled power down or power loss. Usually PSU or motherboard. Sometimes thermal shutdown gives the same code.

Okay, so I've set my memory to 2666 instead of the rated 3000, and so far, no BSODs. Before this change, I had received three more BSODs with error codes relating to memory management.

to be on the safe side, I booted to safe mode and ran sfc.exe /scannow (came up with nothing) and dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth (Which "failed"). I also ran avast virus scanner, with no results. I don't believe it is malware related, but the new deep rootkit viruses out today can hide from most all scanners.

For now, the next step to take will be a broad driver update session, to see if it has something to do with faulty drivers.

Anyways, I'll be keeping an eye on my bank account and other things. If it gets tapped into, I'll have to look into a deep sector reformat to try and get it operational(If it bsods again)

Did you run the avast boot time scanner option? It can catch things that hide when only scanning from Windows.

Okay, so I've set my memory to 2666 instead of the rated 3000, and so far, no BSODs. Before this change, I had received three more BSODs with error codes relating to memory management.

to be on the safe side, I booted to safe mode and ran sfc.exe /scannow (came up with nothing) and dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth (Which "failed"). I also ran avast virus scanner, with no results. I don't believe it is malware related, but the new deep rootkit viruses out today can hide from most all scanners.

For now, the next step to take will be a broad driver update session, to see if it has something to do with faulty drivers.

Anyways, I'll be keeping an eye on my bank account and other things. If it gets tapped into, I'll have to look into a deep sector reformat to try and get it operational(If it bsods again)

Barking up the wrong tree looking at malware as the cause.
A drop in power (voltage) to the memory will cause memory management BSOD's also.
All your issues are related.
PSU check and motherboard check are eminent.

Barking up the wrong tree looking at malware as the cause.

I agree, Mr. Scott. I was just alerting him to the Avast boot time scan tool for future reference. When you do scan for malware you might as well do a good job of it.

I agree, Mr. Scott. I was just alerting him to the Avast boot time scan tool for future reference. When you do scan for malware you might as well do a good job of it.
I do not disagree. :)
My post was directed at the OP.

I've run the startup scan with no results. If I'm infected, its really well hidden.

That said, since the bump to 2666 on the memory clock, everything has been stable.

I've also run a few tests on my psu with a multimeter, voltages are all in check: 12.135 on 12v, 5.233 on 5v, and 3.337 on 3v. This is the main power connector. I also checked the molex power, and the same reading of 12.135 was observed.

I'll just replace the psu on the first; my mobo should be fine, as its purcase date is 10/1/2015. If the bluescreens pop up again, I'll take it from there.

CPU is also now running stock settings with the exception of "Multi-core Enhancement" So that turbo applies to all cores.

I've run the startup scan with no results. If I'm infected, its really well hidden.

That said, since the bump to 2666 on the memory clock, everything has been stable.

I've also run a few tests on my psu with a multimeter, voltages are all in check: 12.135 on 12v, 5.233 on 5v, and 3.337 on 3v. This is the main power connector. I also checked the molex power, and the same reading of 12.135 was observed.

I'll just replace the psu on the first; my mobo should be fine, as its purcase date is 10/1/2015. If the bluescreens pop up again, I'll take it from there.

CPU is also now running stock settings with the exception of "Multi-core Enhancement" So that turbo applies to all cores.

If you're stable now why replace the power supply? Can you check those molex while under a load?

Back