• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Win11] Hard reboot when I launch specific programs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheGreySpectre

I'm having an issue which is the most baffling tech issue I've had and I could use some help.

My computer does a hard reboot, no BSOD, within about a minute of launching chrome or VLC. It only does this with these two programs. I can launch any combination of other programs including games, stress tests and benchmarks just fine and the system runs great. If I open Chrome or VLC though the system does a hard reboot either instantly or within a minute-ish.

This issue has persisted through a complete reformat and reinstallation of windows, as well as a reformat and reinstallation of windows on a different drive.

Memtest went through 4 full iterations with zero errors.

OCCT and Prime 95 work fine (Temps around 60C on the CPU).

I updated the bios and it didn't help

It's program specific, not task-type specific. I can browse the internet with edge, or view videos through media player or kmplayer just fine.

The Event viewer shows an Event ID 41, task category (63), Keyword (70368744177664),(2) when this happens.

I have disabled XMP but it hasn't helped

Estimated system wattage draw is ~550W and I have a 1000W power supply

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I'm rapidly running out of ideas.

System Specs:
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5950X
  • Motherboard:Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VIII
  • Graphics:EVGA RTX 2080
  • RAM: 64GB GSkill TridentZ DDR4000
  • PSU: Corsair HX1000
  • OS Disk: Sabrent Rocket 4
  • Other Storage: Samsung 870, WD Black, Seagate Ironwolf(2)

Oof.. this is a good one...

This issue has persisted through a complete reformat and reinstallation of windows, as well as a reformat and reinstallation of windows on a different drive.
When you did this, you literally installed Windows and drivers ONLY, then Chrome and VLC, and it's repeatable?

I have disabled XMP but it hasn't helped
Did you try with just two sticks (in the proper slots for two sticks)?

OCCT and Prime 95 work fine (Temps around 60C on the CPU).
What tests are you running in these apps? 60C for a stress test with a 5950X is impressive... but doesn't sound stressful.

Have you tried disabling hardware acceleration in chrome?
came here to say this. Though that's an annoying work around.

OP have you tried checking your gpu drivers? Sounds like it could be a hardware accleration issue but generally that can be caused by a faulty driver or a dying gpu.

Can you play games fine?

my 2070 super had a lot of strange issues similar to this, lauching a game would be fine for a few minutes then boom crash, eventually got to where I had to underclock the gpu just for it to game, then even lower just to get it to boot into windows, eventually it just would be a black screen on powerup no monitors worked, sent it in for RMA. But silly things like vlc or chrome using acceleration would make it crash as well. btw this series of events took about 6 months to progress from underclocking to game to black screen on boot.

So, to rule out the GPU, try booting with IGP (if it has it) if not try another card, try older drivers, try latest drivers, install afterburner and turn the GPU down about 100mhz and the ram as well see if that helps stability, if so it could be you gpu going out. The 2xxx series seem to be good at just straight dying for no reason I've seen hundreds of similar posts to mine.

I did try with only chrome and vlc installed in a fresh windows install and I still had the issue. It is repeatable.

I only have 2 DIMMS. They are in slots A2 and B2 (the reccomended slots for 2 DIMMs according to the manual). I have not tried using only a single DIM or switching to slots A1 and B1.

I ran the OCCT CPU test and 32 instances of the prime 95 blended test. All cores showed pegged at 100%. It should be noted the system is watercooled with a 420mm x 54mm radiator and a 360mm x54 mm radiator. The loop contains both cpu and GPU. If I run both than the cpu gets up to about 69C. That has been consistent with what I have seen since building the system a few months ago when it was working fine.

I have not tried disabling hardware acceleration in chrome yet, I'll give that a try this afternoon.

I have tried with the most up to date GPU drivers (currently running 512.95). I can play games just fine. I ran Doom Eternal last night with no issue for an hourish. Unfortuantely I don't have a second card on hand to try easily. I'll try to track one down.

Last edited:
OP have you tried checking your gpu drivers? Sounds like it could be a hardware accleration issue but generally that can be caused by a faulty driver or a dying gpu.
My first thought as well, being that I had a very similar issue several months ago.

My first thought as well, being that I had a very similar issue several months ago.

Interesting. I'll have to see if I can track down another GPU to try. I'm hoping the 4000 series of cards come out in July in which case the problem would resolve itself as I plan on upgrading.

It would be curious to me if it was the GPU as I would have expected GPU issues to manifest in things like games that make heavier use of the GPU.

Did this work?

I'd also try updating drivers before looking for another video card (since amd doesn't have igpu on their desktop chips.

Unfortunately, no. I disabled hardware acceleration, restarted room and got to read about 1/2 a post before rebooting.
I'll dig around and see if I can find some older graphics drivers to try. I'm currently running the most recent drivers.

Are there any CPU testing applications that run a CPU through its paces *feature* wise? Not just putting as much load on the CPU as possible but testing all the different features a cpu supports?

AMD doesn't have a diagnostic tool as Intel does. The best you can do is try different "stress" or system tests.
I'm curious if this is just chrome related. Have you tried using MS Edge with VLC
Also I see 64 GB of RAM, what speed/model etc is it?

VLC causes problems even if it's the only thing running, so it does still causes problems if edge is running. That said, edge works fine (assuming I'm not running vlc). I had edge open for hours last night without issue, which makes the problem even weirder given that edge is a chromium based browser.

The ram is G.Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4000 (2x32GB) F4-4000C18D-64GTZR

Check your windows media player network service to see if it's running, it can cause issues with VLC
I always set mine to manual startup

Giving up for the moment. I can' think of anything else to try short of swapping components which I don't have to swap. Luckily this doesn't actually impeded my computer usage at all as I've just changed browser and media player.

I got to swap out Ram and graphics card recently and that didn't change the symptoms at all. I have talked to a few other people now who have had chrome behave weirdly in the past few months.

I booted it up today and my desktop looked like this which has me suspicious of the HD again. I did try installing windows on a different drive, but I never did actually fully disconnected the current drive while doing that. Maybe I should full remove the windows drive, try reinstalling on a different drive and go from there.

unknown.jpg

Back