• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer Issue - Thinkin MOBO

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

phippsp

Hello everyone! I use to frequent these forums a long time ago but have forgotten what that old username was. So I created a new one because I am once again in need of some assistance and some general opinions on my current situation.

Current Setup
I5-3570K - installed 2017
ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z/Gene3
Windows 7 - 64
NVIDIA 1060 - installed 2017
Corsair HX750 - replaced 2014
16GB Ram

Starting last week I would attempt to boot my computer up and everything would light up and spin but all monitors stayed at a black screen. I would turn the computer off and back on and it would usually turn all the way on and there would be no issues. I could restart multiple times after that and no problems. Once the computer sat all night and day turned off I would need to rinse and repeat the process. As of yesterday I could hardly get the computer to boot at all and when I finally did a message popped up saying my Windows 7 was not an authentic version and my access would be limited. (I am going on 6 years with this computer and same original Windows 7 CD.) So I figured it was time to do a reformat. Going through the reformat process was actually a pretty big pain. It would not let me format my SSD drive as it would just those a error up. I was able to delete it though and start the install process where it hung up unpacking the data. So I restarted and tried again and this time it actually worked. Got all the way through and got into windows installed all the drivers from mobo CD and once I installed the graphic drivers all went bad. It would start up and get to a black screen with the cursor on it and sit for about a minute then finally boot into the system. But my graphic settings would revert back to the default resolution and not 1920x1080 that I set it as. It also sees my other monitors but won't extend my display. I figured bad video card drivers and uninstalled them and installed 2 rounds ago drivers for NVIDIA but same issue over and over. I took out my NVIDIA card card and just used the IGPU and same thing reverts my graphics settings back to default every restart. I put in my older Radeon card and installed everything and same issue every reboot default settings. I can restart now without and issue since I already powered it down about 4-5 times while it hung up to finally get it into windows.

Also want to add I have reset my bios to default settings.

Little extra note my top PCI-E slot stopped working about 2 years ago and I have been using the bottom one which has been fine. So I am really leaning towards my mobo is going out and it is time I bite the bullet and do a CPU/MOBO update.

Any thoughts? Anything would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
I would lean toward the mobo as well, especially seeing as how you already had one component die previously. But if you stay with the Ivy Bridge CPU you will likely need to buy a used mobo. If you fast forward to a newer generation of Intel you would need to also purchase DDR4 RAM.

I would lean toward the mobo as well, especially seeing as how you already had one component die previously. But if you stay with the Ivy Bridge CPU you will likely need to buy a used mobo. If you fast forward to a newer generation of Intel you would need to also purchase DDR4 RAM.

Thank you for the reply and reinforcing my theory. I flashed my bios last night, removed 1 stick of RAM, cleared CMOS and reformatted the computer again. After everything was installed I put the extra RAM back in and so far it is working but I do believe it is on borrowed time at the moment. Will see today how it acts when I boot it up after work. If it is still acting up I will definitely move forward with the newer generation cpu, mobo and ram.

Thanks again!

I was actually just speaking with a friend and I am going to replace the CR2032 battery on the MOBO. Connecting the dots together the computer not wanting to boot up the first time and after a couple of attempts it finally does and with the Windows Failing to Authentic (due to clock issues) I think this might actually be the culprit. I am going to replace the battery tomorrow and will update with findings.

Doesn't cost much to try. With the age of that mobo I would think the battery must be at the end of its life.

Last edited:
Well the $4 attempt to fix with a new CMOS battery was a no go. I thank both of you for the input and I agree the motherboard is done. If I put anything in the PCIE slots the computer does not function at all anymore. I am currently using it now with the IGPU and I have no issues at all. So at least I have this to get me through picking out the new parts and researching everything.

Thank you again for the help!

Back