• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Random freezing and blue screens

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WrkBoot

Hi all, my new computer well two years old has started to randomly freeze and blue screen. This started last week or so and has progressively gotten worse. I started to notice it playing Dying light 2. Sometimes it won't get online, then once I restart it it might go online it has a mind of its own. I'm typing this on my trusty nine +year old system. The old system will get online so I'm thinking it's not the router/modem, I even tried one computer at a time.

I updated the bios and network drivers and made sure all drivers and windows were up to date, nothing changed. I have noticed that while I'm gaming the video card is running at 100 percent but it's not running hot and neither is the CPU. I've changed the setting and it still runs 98-100 percent according to Afterburner. Any help would be great.

thanks, Barry

In most cases, your GPU should be running 100% (unless you limit FPS or power limit, etc). What do you mean by 'changed a setting' and nothing changed? We're good, but............ what setting did you change? lol

Does it only do it in DL2 or other games? Does it do it when stress testing including the gpu? And without the gpu? You have to try to isolate the problem.

Not getting online (does this mean) amd bs9ds sound like two different things. When that happens, what is the status of your adapter? Wifi or.....?

The settings I changed were "video quality" in the game, I thought that might take some of the load off the GPU? It happens on both DL1 and DL2, I can't get the computer online anymore, It sounds like a virus to me, I also can't get into safe mode and it takes three minutes to shut down. Anyway back to the questions...." what is the status of your adapter? Wifi or.....?" are you asking if I'm on wifi or hard-wired? hardwired on both rigs.

Holy mobile typos...lol. sorry.

Yeah... sounds software related, perhaps... have a spare drive? Install windows on that and your game and see if it still happens.

Edit: Since the rig having problems is hardwired, switch to wifi and see if the problem still happens (usb wifi adapters are cheap if you don't have wifi on the board).

Last edited:
Sooooooo, I've been reading and looking at the settings on my computer. The only thing I changed was turning the wifi in settings back on. What I would think is the computer is running on wifi and not the hardwire, nope when I disconnect the hardwire It drops the internet. It doesn't make complete sense to me. My rig has been running just fine though.

yes, it's working properly
So.......does the problem still happen when using Wi-Fi? :)

Take out the ethernet cable, reboot and make sure the Wi-Fi connects...reboot. Are you online still? If it stays online through Wi-Fi, do the BSODs stop (likely not, but...)?

Man every time I read posts like this, I cringe. I remember the fiasco I went through with my rig. Replacing every part piece by miserable piece and it was the video card all along.
Bad part is we have to play the process of elimination game until we find the culprit.

Just rebooted without the cable connected, and I'm online. I'll run it on wifi and see what happens. So....if it runs fine then that would mean that my ethernet/motherboard was the issue?<---I'm sure that would be it.

No load or anything, just rebooted while you was online doing....here?
I wasnt so sure either.. I think he rebooted without the cable connected now and running only on wifi. I don't think it bsod/rebooted on him in this config, yet......

I wasnt so sure either.. I think he rebooted without the cable connected now and running only on wifi. I don't think it bsod/rebooted on him in this config, yet......
Roger that. I read:

"rebooted without the cable connected, and I'm online"

So I was just trying to figure it out too :ROFLMAO:

^^^^yes you are correct. When I was running hardwire either gaming or surfing the net the computer would blue screen. After Earthdog suggests unplugging the hardwire and trying wifi only it seems to be fine.

One day I'll learn to speak/type correctly :rofl: I don't know I am 62 and retired so It might be what it is:rofl:

I played about two hours of DL2 and everything went well then the game got dropped, no blue screen or freezing. I guess we're making progress

Last edited:
Thanks for the idea, I'm running it now. I did notice yesterday that after a Razer update, I had a BS shortly after that. I went to "event viewer" it said there was a (failure to start) 0xc0000035.

Let memtest complete the default four complete runs. It can take a few hours depending on the performance of your machine and how much RAM you have onboard. It's probably not your issue but it doesn't hurt to check.

Back