• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Clock_watchdog_timeout BSOD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrfrankito

Hello everyone,
Yesterday night I changed my RAM to XMP profile and ran a stress test with RealBench for 8 hours without any issue. Also once I woke up I started to work for more than 5 hours with Firefox,Chrome, Virtual Machine, Discord, Notepad++ running fine without a single issue. Also my CPU was running stable for almost 3 days without any single issue/crash and with passing the following benchmarks successfully: RealBench, Cinebench, Aida64, Intel Extreme Tuning Utility.
However 10 minutes ago and while I was watching a video on a website I came up with the BSOD (which was also stacked at 15% and never finished so I had to force shutdown PC)

Clock_Watchdog_Timeout
Kernel-Power
Event ID: 41
Task: 63
BugcheckCode 257
BugcheckParameter1 0x18
BugcheckParameter2 0x0
BugcheckParameter3 0xfffff800bab4b180

My build:
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K
GPU: Intel HD 530 (Desktop Skylake)
Cooling: NZXT Kraken x61
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060-6GB
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 120GB
HDD: WD Black 1TB (2013)
HDD: WD WD5002ABYS-02B1B0 500GB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400 C14 2x8GB
MBD: Asus Z170-A

My CPU OC settings:
Loaded Asus Optimized Defaults
46 Core Ratio Limit
CPU SVID Support: Enabled
TPU II (since I have Kraken watercooling)
Min/Max CPU Cache Ratio: 42
CPU Core/Cache Voltages: Adaptive
Offset: +
Additional Turbo Mode CPU Core Voltage: 1.345
IA AC Load Line: 0.01
IA DC Load Line: 0.01
LLC: Level 5
Current Capability: 130%

Any idea what might caused me this BSOD? Do I have the worst Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 sticks in the world or is something I am missing?
Thank you

Check all your SSD/hard drives with Crystaldiskinfo.

Check the dump files with Whocrashed free version: http://www.resplendence.com/downloads

Many things can cause BSOD including buggy drivers and corrupt Windows system files. Windows 10?

If it happens again, try lowering your core ratio multiplier by 1x or bumping up the vcore by .01

Last edited:
Check the dump files with Whocrashed free version: http://www.resplendence.com/downloads

Many things can cause BSOD including buggy drivers and corrupt Windows system files. Windows 10?

If it happens again, try lowering your core ratio multiplier by 1x or bumping up the vcore by .01
this.

I dont imagine it to be a hdd issue considering it was streaming. That error is specifically a cpu error. Check there first.

Last edited:
Updates: I increased my voltages to 1.347 (which is 0.02 increase from my previous post) and I am getting the following BSOD randomly and after a long usage (12+ hours of gaming, working, stress testing)
Note: I am running on Windows 10
Note 2: The following info are from BlueScreenView tool.

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

Caused by driver: win32kfull.sys

Caused by Address: win32kfull.sys+9b1b6

BugcheckCode 59

BugcheckParameter1 0xc0000005

BugcheckParameter2 0xfffffa25a389b1b6

BugcheckParameter3 0xffffe70581b7ecf0

Strange how the 'optimized' bios settings give bluescreens. If your gonna play with volts at all I would disable the CPU SVID support. And if you want the volts to not fluctuate disable it as well.

Every time i got that specific "Clock_watchdog_timeout" it's been lack of CPU or RAM voltage.

Every time i got that specific "Clock_watchdog_timeout" it's been lack of CPU or RAM voltage.

^Seconded. Was getting the watchdog timeout just yesterday on my desktop as I was playing around trying to find a decent Winter/space heater OC, fixed that by dumping on the CPU voltage. If you're still curious, you can try Prime95 with small FFTs on all cores/threads, that caused it fairly consistently for me.

Also, I've had poor luck with this Corsair Vengence LPX ram, but narrowed it in my case to some known flaky-ness between the line and my motherboard. Though it wouldn't hurt to verify what the ram settings are defaulting to, both in XMP and the actual default modes. Maybe run Memtest96+ for a few hours.

Last edited:
Back