• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Well been searching through the threads and trying to determine temps to rely on.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zyl

Registered
Well been searching through the threads and trying to determine temps to rely on.

Well as the title says it, thats pretty much whats up. I had been running my xp-m 2500 at 2.6ghz on air but the loudness of an slk900 paired with a tornado was getting to me, besides, I had upgraded my case to a full tower and was given an 86 Chevette heater core for free. So off to work! Decided I might as well go for performance while going watercooling so got a swifty mcp650 (think its loudest thing in my box now), 120mm silverstone 110cfm fan, homemade shroud, res, and the asetek Anartica Waterblock (.13 c/w rated by oc database). I had a GPU block too but took that out of the loop as I added an artic silencer rev4 to my x800. I have temp sensors inside the resevoir, at my fan intakes and at the CPU out Y adapter. At idle (music, web) water temps are 84-88F at CPU out, and 2-4F lower inside the resevoir. At full load (Prime95 priority 10 for about 2hrs), the water temps go up to about 92-97F at CPU out, and 90-95 in the res. However using Speedfan and MBM5 my cpu temp is reading like crazy 55-60c load 44-47c idle case temp 34-38c (i know im sorry for switching in between F and C) but which temps should I believe in, also the computer is more stable now, even using 2.1volts through the core.

***EDIT:: Any help would be highly appreciated as I would like to push my CPU even farther but the software temps scare me*** Thanks in advance!!

Abit boards are known for reading the CPU temp a bit higher than most. From what I hear the most accurate thermal probe for CPU is placeing one right next to your CPU core.

i have the temps in the water...should i rely on the water temp? because there's no more airflow around the cpu socket, so wouldn't the temp their read higher then it really is? thats my question....

Thx in advance

You can rely on the water temps as long as you're sure that your WB is mounted properly (imho your watertemp is a bit high though) . You're probably pumping ~1.6GPM through your loop, that would give your WB a C/W of ~0.11. I estimate that with 2.1v @ 2.8 Ghz your cpu will be putting out ~125 watt (@full load) If your water is ~95F (35C) that would give you a cpu temp of 35 + 125 * 0.11 = ~49C (120F)

So what would you consider safe range, yeah my waterblock does calculate to about .10-.11 c/w because its only block in my loop. should i back down or is it ok at this range, 49c is about rightish tempwise....?

Edit: because I can run it at 2.74ish with just 1.95volts...and can keep fans turned all down.....and water temps never break 90F then...

Back