• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Friendly reminder to clean yer loops

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zerileous

I remembered a few years ago that I found a small bit of gunk in my GPU block but it "didn't seem to me affecting anything" so I left it be. Unsure if it was related to my current woes I popped my phone camera in there and was a little grossed out.

PXL_20230910_194208846.jpg

I really did not want to un-mount and disassemble the block (although with 5 year old paste I probably should have), so I devised a method to back-flush the block.

PXL_20230910_200206908.jpg

The water bottle has a mouth piece that fit perfectly into the spare tubing, that ran into the outlet of the block and the inlet drained into the bowl. I forcefully squeezed the water bottle to flush water backwards through the block, dislodging the gunk.

PXL_20230910_200631013.jpg

Remembering my problems from 3 years ago, I repeated the process for the CPU block. All of this came out of the CPU block, I emptied the bowl in between.

PXL_20230910_223546585.jpg

Then I flushed the loop with a gallon of distilled water before adding in the coolant concentrate. Video of results here https://clipchamp.com/watch/E9g5kRzCalg (not sure how to host directly). I will know this evening if I have rectified anything, I decided to give a full 24h leak test and enough time to make sure everything dried out from the flushing.

I do a full loop maintenance at least once a year. I don't use any colored fluids/dyes/additives or preservatives. Only distilled water and for color, colored tubing. And when I do a tear down and refit, I use new tubing and fresh distilled water. Of course ya gotta scrub dem blocks! :LOL:

Sometimes I use a pond pump running water from the tub through the rads to flush em out.

Yeah I am admittedly terrible at loop maintenance. I try to do a quick drain and fill at least annually, or near annually, and for coolant I only use cryofuel clear. Beginning to think I'm not cut out for custom loops lol.

Hi, if u want to clean ur loop, then u can have a try.
I fill my loop with dishwashing liquid from the kitchen. Care that the water is around 50°C in ur loop and let it run for 1-2h.
The rest of the work makes the compressor 1.5bar.

If u want that ur copper is shinging again, u can use lemon juice. Iam sure u will find some tutorials in youtube.

Yeah I am admittedly terrible at loop maintenance. I try to do a quick drain and fill at least annually, or near annually, and for coolant I only use cryofuel clear. Beginning to think I'm not cut out for custom loops lol.
Same here, heck, I have an issue where it will not gravity drain. Dual reservoirs, so I did what any non caring person would, took a deep breath and blew until lung air pressure emptied the reservoirs, along with top rad, vrm blocks, mid rad and bottom rad.

I am sure my lungs are not sterile.

To put everyone's mind at ease, I did refill with the poisonous stuff so no biological growth can happen after replacing the blown motherboard. o_O

Yeah it's awesome but it is a significant amount of extra time and expense.

My upcoming loop will have a ball valve drain wye at the bottom at the radiator discharge, with either a barbed adapter/tubing or a cap when not in use. The reservoir/pump combo fills from the top. You can also vacuum the liquid out with an airtight container and a vacuum source (sweeper) which might be less messy than using a blower. Dual 360 in the front of a Torrent cooling a 7950x, I planned for easier maintenance.

Back