• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

restore backup image

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pinkpig

Registered
Hello all

Im trying to restore a backup image that i used a symantec product to make. Now i want to restore that image to another server.
I have two server computers here.
(A) - Dell poweredge 1400SC w/scsi
(B) - Dell poweredge 1600SC w/scsi
the 1400sc was bought around 2000
and the 1600sc was bought this year. So the hardware config is different.

server (A) is the old server, and server (B) new server. I made a backup image of Server (A) and proceeded to put this image onto server(B). After that was done i tried booting up server (B) but i would get the error of "inaccessible_boot_device" So i thought it would be the driver for the SCSI controller. So i popped in my windows 2000 CD, and proceeded to do a repair on the existing windows 2000 that was allready installed. I pressed F6 to install the drivers for the Scsi Controller card. After all the installation is done, i was able to boot the machine up. All my info(data) seems to be there, but microsoft office wasnt working and the most important thing that i want to work is the ORACLE database, The database listener wouldn't want to start. Someone told me that doing a repair on it changed the system registry so it probably took out something for oracle to work properly.Everything else to me seems fine, i was able to surf the net, pcanywhere worked etc...

So how do i prep the system or install the drivers for the scsi controller without doing a repair on the existing windows?? Server (A) and server (B) are using different scsi controller cards.

Anyone have any suggestions or comments on what i can do to make this work?

THanks
Laura

I would do a fresh windows/oracle install on the new server and then transfer over all of the data. You should really only use ghost images for identical or nearly identical hardware.

Back