• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Keep existing NAS setup or change?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ps2cho

I have a very basic NAS setup currently (Celeron G1840 system that is undervolted - 0.7v idle core voltage per CPUz) running 2x WD Red 2TB drives in RAID1 that are about a year old and a 500GB WD HDD that now has 111,000 hours on it running Windows Server 2000.
The fact the operating system drive has been running literally 12 years 24/7 (although HDTune says the health status is OK) makes me wonder if it is almost time to retire this system.

I do not do anything with this NAS system except for data backup and access to a shared folder via all my computers.

Is there something else out there that I could transfer both my 2TB backup drives that would do the following:

1) Lower wattage - Save electricity
2) Redundancy
3) Longevity
4) Easy access to shared folders
5) Secure

Thoughts/suggestions? Or just keep running the existing setup until something fails?

A friend has a NAS in his house that's Raspberry Pi powered. That route might be an option when you need to replace your current NAS.

I have a very basic NAS setup currently (Celeron G1840 system that is undervolted - 0.7v idle core voltage per CPUz) running 2x WD Red 2TB drives in RAID1 that are about a year old and a 500GB WD HDD that now has 111,000 hours on it running Windows Server 2000.
The fact the operating system drive has been running literally 12 years 24/7 (although HDTune says the health status is OK) makes me wonder if it is almost time to retire this system.

I do not do anything with this NAS system except for data backup and access to a shared folder via all my computers.

Is there something else out there that I could transfer both my 2TB backup drives that would do the following:

1) Lower wattage - Save electricity
2) Redundancy
3) Longevity
4) Easy access to shared folders
5) Secure

Thoughts/suggestions? Or just keep running the existing setup until something fails?
1. Get off the spinners and buy SATA SSDs or M.2-based SATA SSDs. It will also be a lot faster than the spinners and they use less power. Using a Pi as a NAS will really help save power versus a whole PC.
2. Buy two drives and R1 as you have.
3. Always a crapshoot no matter what drive. Since you aren't beating these up with writes, you don't need to worry about that part of using SSDs.
4. Same thing you have, or the Pi option above. That can also help with power savings (as a modern system will too).
5. Depends on your OS/how you set it up.

Back