• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Should I sell this spare machine or re-purpose it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TechJunky

I have an older system just collecting dust... Im debating if I should throw a few 2TB Western Digital Reds in it and make a DIY NAS or just sell it. I currently only have 2 PC's in my home. One is my gaming box/daily machine with a 1 TB backup drive. The other is a Mac Pro with a 4TB time machine backup drive in it. The Mac Pro 5,1 that has 32GB of ram and would support VM's easily. My main box has 16gb's of ram and does what I need for gaming pruposes.

I also have a Live Duo single drive 2TB network attached storage device that I use as a redundant backup and misc file storage... I have had this thing since like 2005? It's been great. I don't really see the need to keep this spare machine, but figured I would see if there was a use case here.

I know with the SSD if I used unraid or ZFS I could use part of the SSD as a cache drive and the 2TB in Raid 1 would be plenty extra storage for my use. I could always purchase another 2TB drive or two for cheap as well...

I just am not convinced running a 100w TDP processor with fans etc is worth re-using it.

Specs:

FM2-A75MA Motherboard
AMD A10-6800k @ 4.1ghz.
8GB DDR3 Memory

Spare Parts:

Evo 750 SSD 250gb
Two 2TB Western Digital Red Drives

if it were me i'd probably sell it.
i'm considering selling the computer i built for my wife a few years back with similar specs because it gets similar use

Thanks, yeah. I was leaning that route. Figure if I can get $100 for the mobo/cpu/ram combo with the CX430 power supply I would be happy. Figure if it doesn't sell I can always take the 8gb ram out of it and put it in my current machine and sell the cpu/mobo for a few bucks.

Ended up selling it. Decided to replace it with a 15w tdp machine for a NAS.

Back