• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB Premature Failures (Update Firmware!)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
This has been out for a bit now and figured we should throw something up....

In a nutshell (from the Tom's article)....
According to Puget, the failures traced back to the 3B2QGXA7 firmware and primarily affect 2TB versions of the 980 Pro (although lower capacities are not entirely immune). Puget doesn't detail the cause of the failures, but Reddit user reports suggest that the SSDs report a S.M.A.R.T. value of 0E (media and integrity error) or greater in CrystalMark or AIDA64. In addition, an 03 value (available spare) lower than 100 percent may also be reported. It's recommended to use the Samsung SSD Magician software to scan the drive for errors if the 03 or 0E value is out of spec.

However, the new firmware update from Samsung will prevent the failures from occurring in the first place if your drive is still functioning. So, if you have a 980 Pro running the 3B2QGXA7 firmware, you'll want to update to the newest firmware (5B2QGXA7) using the Samsung SSD Magician software(opens in new tab) ASAP. It should be noted that 980 Pro SSDs running the 4B2QGXA7 or 5B2QGXA7 firmware are not affected by this issue.

Last edited:
Good looking out, I'll try to get that knocked out tonight on mine

The 990 Pro issue is different than the 980 Pro. One is a false reporting health issue (990) and the other is a 'drive dies' (980). I thought the 980 Pro stuff came out earlier, but, don't care enough to track times down, lol.

Back to non-Samsung SSDs? :p

I'll update the one in my desktop.

... As soon as I set it back up.

Anything on the base 980s? Have a 1tb in my laptop as a game/media drive.

thanks @EarthDog , i had somehow completely missed this. double checked the firmware and it looks like i'm safe on my 1T 980 Pro. ( firmware version 5 etc... ) it's a good thing i constantly updated the firmware every time Magician alerted me. next build just might skip samsung SSDs, also considering that the 990 is a PCIE 4.0 card.

There are already 990 Pro on the market, and I bet that soon we will see PCIe 5.0 series, as some brands are already releasing their PCIe 5.0 SSD (I think it was Gigabyte earlier this week). On the other hand, I'm surprised there is such a delay in PCIe 5.0 SSD premieres. I was talking with some vendors last year, and the first series was expected in about Nov 2022. We have Feb, and there are not even early review samples.

Right now, I guess I'm more interested in the new DRAM-less SSD. I don't need top speed in my daily PC, but I'm happy to finally see 7GB/s+ SSD with pretty good random performance and below 50°C under load. If you use high-performance NVMe SSD on ITX mobos with sandwich-type heatsinks, then you know why I'm happy about low wattage/temps SSD that aren't budget series.

So I finally got my desktop back up to a semi-useable state, firmware update on the 980 pro done. Thank you again, Mr. Dog.

Just have to remember to update the firmware on the 970 in the side room NUC and I'll be golden.

Back