• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Cores...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stool

Its about time that someone calls out the AMD fanboys, and says "put up or shut up". Have the balls to speak up for yourself in public, and not just to Ed. Even without knowing who the whiners are, it'll be well worth seeing the comments. For those who want to complain, I have been using AMD for close to 4 years without a ***** or problem, but I refuse to get locked into any vendor.

stool said:
Its about time that someone calls out the AMD fanboys, and says "put up or shut up". Have the balls to speak up for yourself in public, and not just to Ed. Even without knowing who the whiners are, it'll be well worth seeing the comments. For those who want to complain, I have been using AMD for close to 4 years without a ***** or problem, but I refuse to get locked into any vendor.

LOL,nice flame teh baiting :p didn't know people bother to email Ed teh StroKlio,usually they just laugh :p LOL

Meh...

I don't worry about it, I let it take it's course since I am not in the position for a new computer. If it takes forever for those to come out, it doesn't bother me.

dual-core processors

Xbit labs has an artical by by Ilya Gavrichenkov who says "these dual-core processors will use 1GHz HyperTransport bus to connect to the chipset and will feature two memory channels to work with DDR SDRAM. However, only due to the absence of radical innovations on the interface level, the upcoming dual-core processors from AMD will be compatible with the regular platforms supporting current single-core Athlon 64 and Opteron solutions.

In fact the only thing that the old platform may require in order to fully support new dual-core processors, is the BIOS update. Since all the logic ensuring successful interaction of the processor cores is inside the CPU, these dual-core solutions can actually work with any chipset."

Exactly how big do your balls have to be to give an opinion on AMD? HA!

I’m not exactly a fanboy but i wouldn’t buy a Prescott. I would buy a one of those pm things tho that makes up the cpu in the centreno package.

most of this is guess work

to add to the above AMD wont be putting DDRII on to the a64 just yet it would need a new socket that’s not due for a little longer

the Fx is where the dual cores will be at I presume --> the fx is approximately an Opteron 1XX ?? --> Opterons will be dual core --> because in servers AMD can say that manufactures will have stuck to the guidelines server must be 24/7/365+(1/4)/(till u want more) --> Pc boards are cheaper --> cost savings not only from the fact that there are fewer layers not just because not using registered ram.

Amd must test the board to make sure it works.

not guess work tho --> New dual cores will be inside the power envelope layed out for single core cpus.

So the power regulators should run these. If they are to the original plan.

However amd may wait until DDRII to intro dual cores for the mainstream market... There is more point in dual cores on the server and workstation market.

Probably no dual cores ever for the 754 socket people.

next question AMD When will We get DDRII?

edit == spelling

Last edited:
amd gave an answer now, on their "amdEdge" area. The answer is yes. As long as you have a socket 939 board you'll be fine.

7keys said:
In fact the only thing that the old platform may require in order to fully support new dual-core processors, is the BIOS update. Since all the logic ensuring successful interaction of the processor cores is inside the CPU, these dual-core solutions can actually work with any chipset."
bobburn said:
amd gave an answer now, on their "amdEdge" area. The answer is yes. As long as you have a socket 939 board you'll be fine.

I sure hope so. I've seen way too many times, whether you go blue or green, where the socket has stayed the same but the new processor wouldn't work. And just keep in mind that a CHIPSET that can work doesn't necessarily mean that the MOTHERBOARD will work. And even if it only needs a bios update, that doesn't mean it will GET a bios update.
Of course, the news does sound good, but I'm going to hold on to my cash until much closer to the release date.

7keys said:
Xbit labs has an artical by by Ilya Gavrichenkov who says "these dual-core processors will use 1GHz HyperTransport bus to connect to the chipset and will feature two memory channels to work with DDR SDRAM. However, only due to the absence of radical innovations on the interface level, the upcoming dual-core processors from AMD will be compatible with the regular platforms supporting current single-core Athlon 64 and Opteron solutions.

Exactly how big do your balls have to be to give an opinion on AMD? HA!

whoooah,yoou're getting way too teh technical for teh intel fanboys who can't even do a simple teh bios update :p athlon64 no need teh north teh bridge,intel teh totally teh screwed without teh north teh bridge :p LOL

j3lly said:
whoooah,yoou're getting way too teh technical for teh intel fanboys who can't even do a simple teh bios update :p athlon64 no need teh north teh bridge,intel teh totally teh screwed without teh north teh bridge :p LOL

Um... "the". Please. :rolleyes:

I sure hope so. I've seen way too many times, whether you go blue or green, where the socket has stayed the same but the new processor wouldn't work. And just keep in mind that a CHIPSET that can work doesn't necessarily mean that the MOTHERBOARD will work. And even if it only needs a bios update, that doesn't mean it will GET a bios update.

Sounds like the simple answer is to make sure you buy a motherboard from one of the more highly regarded companies. I'll be looking at an Asus nForce 3 250, personally.

i'll be upgrading to a nforce 4 rig..when i get my funds together *mobo+cpu+pci-e videocard= no fun for me :(*

Frankly I'm surprised dual core will work on current AMD motherboards. Is there some sort of interface package I'm not thinking of here? It was my understanding that dual core was going to amount to a dual cpu system with just one less socket.

I thought Intel was going to pull a trick out of their butt with hyperthreading to make it work, but they say they can't do it period....now AMD says that its good to go despite lacking that jumping off point?

Either way, I'm rather impressed. Sounds like socket939 may become the new socket A. Long live socket 939!

Even if it’s technically possible to run a duel core in an old board, don’t you think they’ll want people to buy a new board with a new chipset?

How about power requirements? Will a motherboard without a dual core chip in mind be able to feed it?

What I can't wait to see is the overclocking potential: a slower-clocked dual-core chip made with current manufacturing processes. I would think you could get crazy overclocks (percentage-wise) out of them, but may have your hands full when it comes to feeding and cooling it.

aftermath said:
New dual cores will be inside the power envelope layed out for single core cpus.

So the power regulators should run these. If they are to the original plan/specs.

edit: that does mean they will be slower yes.

Last edited:
I really think dual core CPUs are going to be an absolute bust. The only people who are going to buy them are hardcore computer junkies. The general public is simply not going to accept them.

I'm not even convinced there are going to be any tangible performance benefits. Most everday apps don't even need the CPU power they've got. Probably encoding will benefit, so that's good for people who do that-- and useless for everyone else. As for games, maybe we'll see an improvement or maybe we won't. It seems to me that games are becoming less limited by the processor all the time and now rely primarily on the graphics card.

Maybe with dual cores more processor time can be put into AI or physics, but then what? What do we need 3 or 4 cores for? And unlike normal processor speed bumps you have to go out of your way to take advantage of more cores. They're not going to get the same level of support.

I just think this multiple core venture is going to be an absolute disaster for both Intel and AMD. If they were smart they'd try to start making inroads into foreign markets, because most people in the United States already have PCs. Most of them don't even need a very powerful computer because all they do is browse the internet or play the SIMs.

Faster CPUs were slowly growing obsolete as it was, now that they've hit a brick wall it's just hurried them on their way.

Back