• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this an appropriate choice of memory for better overclock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shootingblanks

I currently have 2 x 512 mb of PC3700 Gold Rev. 2 and I believe it is my current bottleneck with my overclock. I am unable to get 1:1 at 240fsb with this memory running my 3.2E at 3.8 ghz. However, at 3:2 dividers I can run easily over 4ghz with just auto vcore set and timings of 2.5-4-4-8. I get memtest errors at 1:1 with overclock with 240+ fsb, but am successful at 3:2 dividers with 240fsb. My goal is to successfuly run 1:1 240+ fsb and was considering on purchasing OCZ EL Dual Channel Series Gold Edition 184-Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-4400 as an alternative to this problem. My motherboard is one of the few that support this type of memory. Is this a wise selection in an alternative to this delimina?

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-146-987&depa=1

i don't think the ram is the problem, running 1:1 vs async doesn't matter to the ram, only its effective speed and timings do

well 1:1 on the 3700 is 2.5-3-3-7 with ddr 466. at fsb of 240 dont I exceed ddr 466? and with memtest I am unable to achieve 1:1 with fsb 240+ with tight timings of 2.5-3-3-7. at 3:2 divider and looser timings of 2.5-4-4-8 I can accomplish over 4ghz. So what gives?

First off, don't use 3:2 unless you really really have too!

start with 1:1, work with the voltages, then work with your timings, and the pat/gat if applicable to that board.

If that doesn't work then drop to the 5:4 ratio and use that, you'll net a higher cpu oc and still stay in the ddr tolerance with 5:4. Granted your not sync then your async but the cpu speed makes up for it in my book.

As for your current situation. 3.4E @ 240fsb 1:1 is a 480DDR. your memory is now running 14mhz over it's ddr rating. So increase the voltage to the ddr. If your hitting over 4ghz with that 3.4E then your running a fsb of 250, but with a 3:2 ratio your ram is at 333DDR wich is well under your memory ddr rating. So your chips good, and you want a 1:1 sync oc. Well with the given info, run a 5:4 ratio and run your 250fsb that will give you a ddr speed of 400mhz then you can use the tight timings, and even up the cpu speed.

It all comes down the voltage/timings/pat/gat and cpu voltage, It's a trial and error.

I have a hard time running my geil @ 434ddr even though it is rated at 433 @ 2-3-3-6. So get a peice of paper, right down your settings change some document, run memtest, when it fails change something else documenting what you changed so that you know, and just keep at it, You'll eventually find the fault and a solution.

1:1 isn't the begin and end all, if you run 5:4 and get a high oc, and get your memory close to what you could 1:1 you will actually be better off because you'll have the memory bandwith and a higher cpu speed over running a 1:1 ratio.

Hope this helps you out, And 4ghz with that 3.2E sure does validate the cost of it doesn't it :D

Back