• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

windows media player..... problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stiffler69

okay i have win xp pro, sp2 and i had windows media player 10 and and this used to work fine but for some reason all of a sudden when i try to play a stream from internet explorer it opens the windows media player window then after a few seconds it totallly disappears no error messages nothin just closes itself.... i tried wmp 9 same thing.. i tried different codecs and still same. can someone please help me resolve this problem..

Can you download it to desktop and then play it in media player?

yes i can do that... btu it wont do the stream from sites for some reason

What about trying another media player. Make it the default and attempt to stream?

tried VCL which plays all, btu when u click lets say that test.wmb or test.mpeg it starts downloading it to the TEMP folder, it wont buffer it.. i dont understand whats going on....

i was on that site but i cant find anything usefull or relating to my problem.

i went into safe mode and tried it and it worked fine under administrator. but then in safe mode i switched user to my own account it didnt work anymore. some problem it keeps closing the player

Hate to say it, but I'm out of ideas. If that link above doens't help I don't know what to tell ya. :(

I wish I had something to solve this little problem also, since I'm suffering from the same thing. I've done some research and all I can find is the same guy on several forums including the microsoft newsgroup pimping his website that endlessly repeats that the error message " C00D1197: Cannot play the file " doesn't tell him anything that he can use to help. So, no help.

The other thing that shows up in the event viewer:

The description for Event ID ( 1900 ) in Source ( HHCTRL ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: This operation can only function within HTML Help.

The thing that's giving me fits is that it started happening seemingly of it's own accord about 3 weeks ago. I haven't deleted, changed, or otherwise altered any files/folders/directories, not to mention that there wasn't a windows update or anything the week that happened. (not that I remember anyway)

Regardless, it's just some more info for the masses to chew on, if anyone comes up with any ideas, feel free to toss them out.

Do you have all the file types checked in Tools/Options/File types? I had a similar problem and that fixed it. Are you running any other media program ie; Nero, Realplayer etc.?
Have you tried reinstalling it?

One other thing that happened to a friend is he had Nero installed and it was his default video viewer. He also had WMP10 installed. He removed Nero and then tried to view a video on the web. Apparently (this 2nd hand mind you)having removed Nero which was his default player, confused Windows and it just sat there and did nothing. He went back into WMP and set WMP as the default player on all file types. Again this is second hand knowleage.

good luck

Last edited:
Try setting Windows Media Player as the default media player in "Set Program Access and Defaults".

Also, you may want to refer to the following keys:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Media]
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Media\MimeTypes]

Check what extesions Internet Explorer is using and remove any that may conflict with the media player. Subkeys of the following keys should be of interest:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extensions]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extensions]

Remove as much as you are able from "%HomeDrive%\Program Files\Internet Explorer". Windows will recreate components of Internet Explorer.

If that does not work reinstall Internet Explorer.

Last edited:
Ascii2 said:
Try setting Windows Media Player as the default media player in "Set Program Access and Defaults".

Also, you may want to refer to the following keys:

Check what extesions Internet Explorer is using and remove any that may conflict with the media player. Subkeys of the following keys should be of interest:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extensions]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extensions]

Remove as much as you are able from "%HomeDrive%\Program Files\Internet Explorer". Windows will recreate components of Internet Explorer.

If that does not work reinstall Internet Explorer.

okay i dont quite understand what im looking for in:
i got that far but i dont know where do i look or what do i delete.

Stiffler69 said:
okay i dont quite understand what im looking for in:
i got that far but i dont know where do i look or what do i delete.
Try removing (back up [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Media] and members). With QuickTime installed, merge MIME.reg (see attached).

Note: Contents of MIME.reg is was created representing [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Media] and its members for a Windows 2000 / Windows XP system using Internet Explorer 6 with Service Pack 1, and after the installation of QuickTime 6.5.2.

Attachments

• MIME.zip
    495 bytes · Views: 77
like im sry man... but i still dont get it so im in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Media and i see only 3 things in there but there is also
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Media\MimeTypes with like a hundred things in it? so i do i delete everything in MIME Types and then run that .REG files of urs?

im sry for asking again

Stiffler69 said:
but there is also.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Media\MimeTypes with like a hundred things in it?
A hundred things is quite a lot. I only have 22. Perhaps a MIME conflict exists.

Stiffler69 said:
so i do i delete everything in MIME Types and then run that .REG files of urs?
Yes with QuickTime installed. You may want to first back up the key prior to deletion in case you want to restore the previous things ("Registry" -> "Export Registry File..." in Windows XP I believe).

hey dude i just deleted everything in MIME and had quicktime installed ran ur .reg file u have up there rebooted machine, and tried it and still same thing happens closes the site. any ideas?

Back