• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sata Error - Please Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Msi.

Hey everyone.

I dont know if anyone has had this problem befor but im haveing it right now with my bro's computers.

-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-

1) He unpluged his usb mouse and when he pluged it back in and turned on his computer his computers wouldn't boot. It gave him a boot failure error and now im stuck with it.

He is running 2 sata hard drives western digital 40gig 10000rpm hard drives with the abit nf7 mobo.

edit:

heres how the error takes place:

verifying dmi pool data...
boot from atapi cd-rom
distk boot failure, Insert system disk and press enter

-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-

sorry for the little info im giveing you at the moment im kind of pissed off about haveing to spend my weekend fixing it...

I'll get the error and edit the post once I have it.

note that i cant get into a prompt since it give the error right after the post.

I could always make a dos disk and then attempt to access the recovery and load the drivers. I should have that about that befor, anways i'll probably just end up formating and makeing a backup of his computer incase this happens again.

then Ill got throught extensive testing to see if he was lying to me or if its actually the usb mouse that causes the problem.

can you check to see that his boot device is set to be the first, in "set boot device priority" or something similar?

if it isnt, its possible that the bios isnt even looking at his boot drive, and halting as soon as it dodesnt find boot info on the drive thats improperly set as first

boot is set to:

+ Floppy
+ hard drive
+ cd-rom

It didnt detect his hd's when in the bios though, although they are well pluged and working since a few hours befor it crashed we were playing warcraft 3 togeather.

so did it crash out of windows, or did it just fail to boot form a succesful shutdown?

neither of these matters on the day, as the bios isnt seeing the drive anyway, so thats where you need to start

do you think it may be a failed drive?
can you try another drive , system or not, just to see if the bios recognizes any drive?
obviously remove and reinsert the drive cables, also, try with only the single drive attached, no floppy, no CD, etc...

Back