• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Maximum KVM cable length or why can the monitor go 50 feet?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

richklein

Hi,

I am looking to move my PC's into another room. The KVM switch I have for my current solution is perfect but the cables I am using (25 footers) wont work to the new place I am moving to. A 30 foot would be perfect but the place I buy my cables from (www.cablesonline.com) only sells PS2 cables that are 25 feet.

The monitor cables can be 50 feet, but the PS2 on 25 feet. What the heck is the point of that? If I want to park the monitor 25 feet away from the keyboard?

I was told that you cant go any further with the PS2 cable. Is that the case or just marketing?

Thanks,
Rich

thats the case, each cable has different maximum length after that u either loose the signal or it doesnt fully get to the target

monitor: 50ft
ps2: 25ft
LAN: 330ft

and so on, u can get either an expansion cable (it may work depends on the quality of ur cables and the lvl of signal.. cuz i managed to make a 370ft LAN cable with a good quality and it worked just fine) or u need an adapter to refresh the signal every 25ft.

hope that helps

I notice it says, "available in a wide range of lengths from 6 to 35 feet," but I only see prices listed for the 25ft length and below.

edit: I don't actually know the maximum langth of a PS/2 able, and I'm having a little troble googling for it.

You could also do a wireless keyboard and mouse. Just have the reciever as close to where you are as you can get it.

Quailane said:
You could also do a wireless keyboard and mouse. Just have the reciever as close to where you are as you can get it.

Thats not the problem on that direction since the switchbox will be on my desk, the problem is from the switchbox cables to the back of the PC's (about 25 -30 feet or so).

The USB is a decent idea but how do you get a usb keyboard to work in dos mode (really when playing with the bios settings)?

Back