• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

activation server error

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ati

for some reason i cannot activate my windows xp. it says that it cannot connect to the windows authorization servers..

Happened to me and does everytime I try to install windows. Just call the people. You talk to a pc and even if you have activated your pc to many times on same code then just get connected to human and say you had to switch out hardware due to drive issues or something. I have done that atlwast 4 times now.

I've had to call the last 10+ installs i've had, like tenchi said, very easy to do. No holding or anything, ussually takes a few minutes.

ok maybe this is due to because i changed motherboards....

if i tell them that i switched motherboard would they still activate?

Ebola said:
If it is a retail version yes. If its an OEM then don't mention that.

Actually, I've had client's change motherboards on OEM versions and call and they still activated it. There is no real difference between the OEM and Retail versions.

hmm well what would be the wise thing to say? changed hdds?

Say what I always say. I had a lot of problams and was forced ot remove some of my hardware then reinsert it. Or something like that. Basically you tell them you tried to troubleshoot it with no luck. When you tried to log back in it said activate. Or just tell them your old HDD craped out so you got a new one. Any way most of the time they say yes so just call. I mean even if you had a stoeln copy you could probaly call up and get a key.

I dunno maybe its the microsoft servers because i have recently tried to install a fresh copy of win xp on a client's machine and it said it couldn't contact the server but i could go to any website i wanted in internet explorer. Have you tried calling it in? Thats what I did and the computer just read me off the numbers and I plugged them in.

CrystalMethod said:
Actually, I've had client's change motherboards on OEM versions and call and they still activated it. There is no real difference between the OEM and Retail versions.

For the most part you are right but a lot of oem versions are different. Try installing a dell oem cd on a compaq and you'll see what I mean. A lot of times they are vendor specific and won't even install. MS probably treats cases differently on the phone as well. I think MS is letting a lot more internet applications go through. Thankfully, I have never had to call them.

Back