• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Torx T** -What? Who? Where?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Foxie3a

Normal Member
I know there isn't a mechanics forum here, and I was going to go elsewhere, but I figured I wouldn't deprive you guys of my question. I'm sure someone else would like to know this too.

My laptop has star screws! And since I'm such a mechanical expert, I think this is called a Torx screw. I need the torx screw to get out of my laptop because I need my laptop to open... Only I can't get the screw out because I don't have the proper "Torx Wrench".

Looking on ebay they sell kits in the laptop section for only one arm and one leg, but I'd like to get a nice little kit from a name I trust like Sears, or anything suggested.

I noticed there are different sizes. T6, T20, and many, many others. Does the number refer to something specific, or is it just a made up number for that size? What size do you think I need? I wouldn't mind buying all sizes if it was cheap enough.

Here is my "safety" auction. High price, but I know it'll work for what I want.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31534&item=5166908242&rd=1

And what I'd prefer buying if the shipping wasn't a rip off.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29527&item=4359441002&rd=1

Haha, and when I stop caring about looks and functionality...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29527&item=4359006905&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I'm leaning towards the second one even though the shipping is high. The auction ends soon, so I'll look here before it ends to see what's suggested. Thanks guys! :)

sears near me has torx wrenches at the store. bring your laptop, see what you need.

also, what laptop do you have? i would imagine the manual (or online service manual) might list what size torx wrenches are needed.

I think the number is just a reference to which size is bigger/smaller. I don't know for sure, but I have a full set of them. You know you can pick them up at almost any hardware store.

Compaq Presario 700US (702 to be exact). It was supposed to randomly turn off, but I've used it since Thursday very heavily. I mean 85% cpu usage most of the time with music and web surfing and everything. It hasn't turned off, restarted, or even given me an error. $150 shipped. :)

I'm buying the second one. I'll let you guys know how it works out.

don't sell at this forum man, edit that out before a mod comes..

bring that to the classifieds =P

SolidxSnake said:
don't sell at this forum man, edit that out before a mod comes..

bring that to the classifieds =P

I was saying that's how much I bought it for and under what conditions because someone asked me which laptop it was.

Haha... I had a fan in my computer that wasn't working too well, but was very good once I oiled it. Now it started giving me problems again so I chucked it... I JUST missed the auction for those torx wrenches. Oh well, another one is coming up in 2 days.

do you have a home depot near you? on their website, they have the EXACT SAME husky torx wrench set listed in the first auction(presario repair or whatever) for $5.96

www.homedepot.com search 165748

165748_3.jpg

Last edited:
Oh thanks a lot. There's one pretty close, I'll go pick one up and avoid shipping costs and time. I love the last line in the product description "Husky screwdrivers are guaranteed forever. ". Looks like that one offers smaller sizes too, and I doubt I'll need the big ones.

glad to help. the first auction you listed is this exact set. they just didnt list T7 for whatever reason.

Simply amazing. I went to The Home Depot to get what was posted above. I needed help since I dont know my way around the store, and then I dont even really know anything about the torx wrench anyway. It took the guy at the store like 5 minutes to find them.

He found small bits, and then gave me a handle that they will screw into. They did not have a set that came together. I spent $12, but the handle looks nice, it's made by husky and is clear, see through.

I ge home to test. Two problems, one is my fault. The smallest bit isn't small enough, my fault I guess. The other problem is that the bits obviously do not fit in the handle. I am not mechanically inclined, so it's not my fault that one peice doesn't fit in the other, they pay the guys at the hardware store to suit me up with what I need, and the handle doesn't even fit the bits! I spent more money this way, and it is a complete waste. Now I'm buying the T4/5/6/7/8/10 set off of ebay.

Even the T10 is wayy too big for this laptop, so keep that in mind if you ever need to open a laptop.

First off, never buy tools at home cheapo, unless somehting is on sale.

Go to Sears, they have a way better selection. Or flag down the SnapOn truck if you can. Thats always best.

Back