• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New comp, about to buy, but did i leave something out?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shard

sup guys

well i now have the money in my hot little hands, but i am not sure if what i want to get is the right choice

AMD A64 3000+ OEM 150
BFG 6800GT PCI-e 425
DFI Lanparty Ultra-D 150
PQI Turbo PC3200 1gb 170
Thermalright XP-90 45

Total 935

so did i leave something out? am i overlooking something?

I have already

Lian Li PC71
Antec SL350, good for now, but will upgrade in about a month
and CDRW, HD and so on

What about memory, HSF and PSU?

I'd recommend GSkill LE's or some OCZ VX if you can lay your hands on them. Fortron Bluestorm for the PSU and the XP-120/SKL948U+ a 92 mm Delta for the HSF.

well my good friend permanoob has been running a GT on a 350w, then a 250w, so i think i will be fine for stock speeds until i get the Blue stream, yes that is what i am getting

yeah..........

i have found many times that it aint, and i just plain dont like the new ATI stuff, not that i am a nvidia fan boy, but i just dont like the performance of the x800xl's compared to the 6800gt's, hell i used to love the 9800pro's but now the times have changed and whatnot

PSU is a major factor. If it runs well on that 350-Watt go for it, but this mobo seems to be real picky about what kind of PSU you are using. It is a real pain as you know from talking to me Lol.

XP-90 Heatsink & 92MM Fan more then enough
6800GT>800XL
Ram is perfect, don't spend more.

I'd flat out say you need to upgrade your PSU when you can spend some more bills on it. Mostly for protection & safety, plus ocing
:D

yeah for now i am just going to run it at stock, learn the board, and then in about 2 weeks or so, get the new PSU and then go OC crazy

PSU PSU PSU!!!! ;)

Like everyone says, get a new PSU. I'd personally have it as one of my first purchases becasue I wouldn't want to run into any "low power" problems after I had everything all put together and I'm hyped up to play with my new system. It would suck for you to get it all together, power it on, and when you go to load a game or photoshop and the system crashes on you. :(

hmm, its rather strange how everyone says that it wont work when i have personaly seen this kind of setup work about 5 or 6 times, but trust me I AM GETTING A NEW PSU when i have some extra money

BUT

i have been thinking of mabye of going cheaper somewhere, but i am honestly not sure, like on the PCI-E front, the cheapest 6800gt i could find was for 425, yet i can find 6800gt's for 380 on the AGP platform, and i think it might be a wiser choice, since i realy dont have that much money to spend to start out with. so if you guys could point out some realy good OCing Mobo's that are AGP, it would be great, i have been looking at the MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum, but i am still not sure, so any help would be great!

i have yet to order, i will probably order on monday or tuesday

yes but what s more future proof - u by PCIe now u dont have to worry about a new mobo in say 2 years - of course pending on if the socket is stll used

i would say get PCIe now if u can and if anything get 512 of ram maybe ?

I'm glad to see you're finally getting a modern system, I hope you like it and think it's justified since you're spending a lot of money.

Personally, I dont think it's right that your video card is about half of the total system's cost, but it's your choice.

The last thing I upgraded was my power supply. I had an FSP400 powering my system and it couldn't do it once I got my 9800. Not sure if a 3.6C would take more power than a A64 3000, but I know a 6800GT would take a considerable amount of power. I think that it would be irresponsible to run that system with a 350watt power supply.

Think of it this way. You are paying almost $1,000 for a brand new, high end system, and you can possibly kill the whole thing if that PSU decides to take a crap. My guess though would be that it would run it though, and it would just put the voltage rails real low, possibly too low.

I'm sure you can figure out a way to buy that PSU sooner rather than later.

Also, I don't see a sound card, but you might want to use the integrated sound, I don't know.

hmm, you do have a good point, but the main thing is, i want to have the power of a 6800gt, and a great PSU, but my budget is only 950 right now, so i am kinda at a loss, but if you guys could show me some good ideas and such, it would be great

on the sound part, i have yet to decide on what i want, be it creative, chaintech, or
M-audio, or the new korean card i just heard about. but i might get the z5500 surround sound speakers in the future, but i am not sure on that one.

i know the blue storm is the best way to go for me PSU wise, but i am still not sure, lets get this ironed out first before i order, so i wont want to beat my head in for some stupid mistakes

*edit* on the ram part, yeah it would be great to get 512 now, but if i want to get 1gb in the future, i will have to get a whole new set, becuase the DFI board doesnt play nice with all 4 banks full

I doubt you need the power of a 6800GT, but again, it's your choice. With my 9800pro, with everything at stock, doesn't even flinch in most things, even with the detail pretty high. Far Cry does give it a run for its money in high detail, but part of that could be my lack of system RAM(should probably have more like 1gb, but oh well).

I'd recommend Creative, especially if you say you need the 6800. If you need a powerful Vcard like that, you better save all of your CPU for the games too and not have to worry about processing sound. ;)

I'd probably skip Fortron and just go with a PCP&C. I've learned that it's a waste to upgrade a lot, should just get the best from the start. Unless if the stuff is still new and expensive.

Back